Last Minute Search for a Merriam in NW Nebraska; Looking for recommendations for a camping spot.

gwhunter

So about a week ago my wife and job both gave me the clear to take an extra long weekend to go turkey hunting. I decided to go on a "toss a dart at a map" type hunt in search of my first Merriams with only a weeks worth of planning. I did the standard gohunt/onx searches for public land, but having never actually been in NW Nebraska I was hoping to get a recommendation on what the camping situation/prospects are near that area. I've looked into getting a campsite at Ft. Robinson and thought that may work out. But I'm almost more inclined to just find a spot to setup a dispersed campsite along the side of a road on the public. My only worry is that with such small parcels of public (relative to a place like Colorado or Wyoming where I have elk hunted before and shown up and any flat, treeless area already had a camp {or 12} on it) I don't want to show up at midnight driving from Michigan only to find the only places where it would make sense to camp are all filled up. Anyone interested in passing along their experiences on camping while turkey hunting that section of Nebraska?

Edit to add: I'm planning to go the 2nd weekend that the shotgun season is open, April 24.

Last edited:
If set on camping, I’d go the dispersed route since I don’t think you’re going to have much, if any, camping competition up there in April (Maybe some if it’s shotgun opener, I don’t know the NE dates this year), but even then, I think you’ll have a wide variety of camping choices this time of year.

I am mostly a camper myself, but the two times I hunted up there, I stayed right @ Ft Robinson. Once solo in the former barracks (hotel rooms now) and once with a group in one of the former officers houses. Both are awesome, very unique, full of history, and affordable.

since you’re from MI, it’s probably stating the obvious, but there are a ton of ticks in that region in spring, and since Ticks are multiversal demon-spawn, fair warning to bring permethrin.

If set on camping, I’d go the dispersed route since I don’t think you’re going to have much, if any, camping competition up there in April (Maybe some if it’s shotgun opener, I don’t know the NE dates this year), but even then, I think you’ll have a wide variety of camping choices this time of year.

I am mostly a camper myself, but the two times I hunted up there, I stayed right @ Ft Robinson. Once solo in the former barracks (hotel rooms now) and once with a group in one of the former officers houses. Both are awesome, very unique, full of history, and affordable.

since you’re from MI, it’s probably stating the obvious, but there are a ton of ticks in that region in spring, and since Ticks are multiversal demon-spawn, fair warning to bring permethrin.
Thanks for the reminder on the ticks. I just wrote out my list for supplies and completely forgot about the ticks/permethrin. Thanks for the information on your experiences hunting/camping that area!

You’ll be able to find a spot to camp out there. I’ve been in that area quite a bit. My 2 recommendations are: camp close to the southern end of the NF south of Chadron. Some of the northern part burnt in 2012 and is not re-growing. 2: there’s a lot of smaller parcels scattered around within 50 miles, if you are striking out in the NF then go check any of those that have trees. Also don’t be afraid to pull into a ranch and ask permission south of the river. Most everything north is leased, but south of the river there’s a lot of birds in shelter belts. The ranchers wives get pissed that they tear up their gardens and will eagerly let you kill one. Let me know if you have any other questions l.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back