Last minute camping advice

TX_Eric

My wife and I got married this past week, and she's also about 8 weeks pregnant. We were supposed to be heading on our honeymoon this weekend to central America but after speaking with our OB today we've had to cancel because of zika.

We have a little over a week off and are instead considering a last minute backpacking trip. We are in Dallas and Yellowstone is about as far away as we want to drive right now. Does anyone have any advice on a good place to spend 3-4 days backpacking and camping? Preferably somewhere not super crowded or hot.

Don’t go to Yellowstone right now if you’re hoping to backpack. Lots of snow in the park. They had a big snow year, and it’s not anywhere close to being gone in the high country. Colorado got much less snow. Maybe look there???? Shorter drive for you too.

If you don't want to backpack, I'd go to YNP now. Crowds will be at their best. There are some short hikes you can get into. If you've never been, there will be plenty on the Grand Loop to keep you occupied. Check for RSVP before you go, or just camp on BLM/USFS outside the park. PM if you need help with that.

I spent last weekend in the Snowies and its' just getting opened up on top but there are lots of hiking opportunities. A few days around Saratoga might be worth considering as an option.

Thanks, I think we are learning towards Colorado. Considering the Crested Butte area or the Rocky Mountain National Park. Any advice with those areas?

The snowies are beautiful, and a place up there that has cabins I can't remember the name of them.

Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park has more snow now than CB, but has more wilderness and wildlife to enjoy over a few days Contact the park to find out what backpacking trails are open and for reservations in Rocky. In CB, backpacking above Gothic toward Maroon Peak, or above Pittsburgh toward Oh-Be-Joyful are good choices. Note that creeks will be higher in afternoons w snowmelt. What you can drive or wade across in the morning will be deeper and faster in the afternoon. CB is a unique and entertaining town, as well, orders of magnitude above Estes Park or Grand Lake. Also consider Ouray/Ridgway/Telluride area. Great scenery. Hot springs!

Last edited:
The name of the place in the snowy Mt s is, mountain meadow cabins.

No. rim of Grand Canyon and No. Kaibab National Forest. Plenty on dispersed camping in the NF. Three developed campgrounds, two in the NF and one in the park. Lots of trails in the NF and park that don't have major elevation changes. Temps will be in the 70's for highs 40' for lows. Two lodges outside the park, two in the park, if camping doesn't work out. GJ

Congrats on the marriage and kid on the way . They are the best thing ever . Kids that is , not wives but congrats !

Congrats on the marriage and child! I'll be there in about a month and a half (not the kid, however...). This time of year, I'd look to southern CO as they didn't get much snow and it should be pretty dry. I drove past the Sangre De Cristo's this past weekend and it looked bone dry. Also, northern New Mexico was very dry as well. The crowds in those areas shouldn't be bad this time of year. Good luck and enjoy!

I spent last weekend in the Snowies and its' just getting opened up on top but there are lots of hiking opportunities. A few days around Saratoga might be worth considering as an option.

This would be a great option to stay and go on day hikes.

This would be a great option to stay and go on day hikes.

I agree. Lots of options from the free hot springs to nicer resorts, gobs of hiking, fishing, river, wildlife, etc.. And the best part is there are few people using the area since the road was just opened up recently. It's a ghost town compared to RMNP this time of year. Lakes on top are just opening up so there are a few fisherman and a few hikers but the trail head parking lots are still empty even on the weekends.

Also as mentioned there are options for cabin rentals up just west of Centennial.

http://www.mtnmeadowcabins.com/cabins

https://www.brooklynlodge.net/vacation-rental-1

Info on what to do in the Saratoga and Encampment area.
http://saratogachamber.info/

And you could still drive down to RMNP one day from there quite easily if you wanted to do more touristy stuff.

We stayed in some of the campgrounds around Fifty-Six, AR and hiked part of the Sylamore Hiking Trail, and it was awesome. Not a far drive from Dallas, and it was not crowded at all when we went. (It was Oct though.) I think that might tie into the Ozarks Highlands Trail as well. Definitely a great short drive that shouldn't be too crowded, and has some good views. Definitely not the Rockies though.

Northern NM - east of Chama in the Carson NF. Cruces basin wilderness if you want to hike. It's been years since I've been up there, but there's a good NF road system in parts of it and there's always the wilderness there too. Chama is a resorty little town. Not too far from Pagosa in case you want to go to Colorado (you actually have to go into Colorado to access the NF roads that take you back into NM).
However, check to see what the fire restrictions are like due to drought up there. Generally wetter up there and less likely to close the forest, but good to check.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back