Last day buck.

wytex

Let me start by stating , we have private access that we worked for many years to build with a landowner. Normally we hunt management bucks but this year had access for any deer, one big buck.
Found this guy Friday at dusk checking out some doe. Found him bedded Saturday about 1/2- 3/4 mile from the evening before.
Not huge by any means but a nice mature buck for the area.
Looking forward to taking some rutting bucks pics in days to come on the place.

DSCN0849 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_2269 (2) copy.jpg

That is a great looking mulie congratulations...bigger congratulations on treating landowners well and with respect to get access to hunt.

I hope you have a good run there!

A really fine buck and he's got a good looking cape on him. I like the background of your pics too that makes a good hunting photo. Congrats

Thank you sir. We have worked 25+ years to gain the trust of this landowner. We started by doing some work for him, fencing and other ranch work.
Our hunting is limited but between public land hunting and this access we can put meat in the freezer.

The ranch has some public sections adjacent he controls access to so we try to help hunters with access for game retrieval if needed. The landowner has asked us to control his access and we try to help out when we can in getting the public hunters access to downed animals or wounded game, sometimes even a little private access for hunting.

Nice buck!

How did you build up the relationship with the land owner. Just being good neighbors or removing many coyotes?

Nice buck!

How did you build up the relationship with the land owner. Just being good neighbors or removing many coyotes?
We started by getting to know his ranch hand, spouse worked at the WG&F research facility with him. That led to whitetail access along the creeks, landowners wanted them out.
Started doing some work for them, fencing etc and eventually paid for access one year. I took a 9 1/2 year old 2x3 that year.
Over the next few years we did more paid work for them.
The ranch hand moved on so they asked us to take over some work and the access issues they had.
We have limited hunting rights but they work for us. Every few years we get permission to take a trophy type buck and anything wounded we try to take as well provided we have licenses for the animal.
Cow elk access was granted pretty early and we have taken advantage of that yearly.

We feed their horses over winter and trap and hunt predators all winter while we can get in.

The owners live in Colorado and are older so we help any way we can. Hard work and respect went a long way with them.

Back