Last August before my hunt...

imported_Cody

Dreaming, cannot sleep so I thought I would write it down. I hope you enjoy.

I dug deep in my chore gloves, both hands cupped to my mouth breathing warmth to my finger tips. Occasional snow flakes dance down through the dark timber around me. The hour is early and sleep was hard to come by last evening in camp. I watched the fire flicker to coals as I lay in my bag, remembering the bog bull. When I had first seen him he was with a cow, cooing to her as only a bull can. She would have no part in his antics, the time was not right and she knew she had his attention, he would wait.
I watched as she walked into the timber and left him alone, frustrated and on his own for a time yet. I smiled thinking of how life goes for us fellas, man or beast, in need of a little love and a soft muzzle, yet full of pride and self will. The elegant animal was in his prime and knew it, he shook his shoulders to shed the flies, his massive antlers looked like a set of rocking chairs he and moved with a grace, as if he were free of the cumbersome weight and went back to feeding.

That was hours ago and now I was back to where I left him at dusk, feeding in the meadows edge out of bow range. I had found his beds and knew where he spent his days and I had returned hoping to catch him unaware as he moved to water. The sun had yet to rise and frost clung to the grass along the creek bottoms. The birds and squirrels were starting to wake and vocalize their cheer. I looked to the north west and could see snow above the fog line on the top of Steamboat peak. The elk that normally got my heart racing were bugling their challenges to the satlelight bulls trying to sneak a harem away. I felt good today, at peace with the world but mostly at peace with myself. the last 6 or 7 months had been a real test of my metal. My health as better as was my attitude and relationships. As I sat waiting for more light I thought of my wife, my kids, family and friends. The love and compassion each had shared with me to help me along, I am a lucky man.

I am brought back to reality by a soft grunt from the aspen covered draw that leads down from the Rim ridge. A squirrel bark's it's warning in the crisp early morning air warning of an intruder. Ten minutes later I hear it again but closer now, just across the meadow were I had seen the love birds the evening before. This call was answered immediately by my love sick monarch of the mountains. WAAA, Wa WAAA wa wa. Chills go through my body as I pull an arrow from the quiver and set it in it's nock. That bruiser from the swamp has awaken and his girlfriend is knocking on his door. The bachelor bull appeared from the willows on my left, not exactly were I had expected him to be but very close. He was as any bachelor at this hour, rumpled and muddy from bedding in an un- kept house. He stumbled from the brush and approached his female friend. They stood muzzle to muzzle. I could hear there grunts and squeals and knew the lady talk I intended to give him this morning would be lost on deaf ears. As I watched their ritual, ages old in the mountains, a sense of gratification overwhelmed me. I knew that right before my very eyes tender love had created a miricle and next year I expected to see the calf.

I sat until the sun was starting to climb to it's morning peak and just let the moment suck me in, lost in thought and a spiritual moment I did not realize that the bull had eased over to the pond for a drink and was less than 30 yards away. When he paused to check over his massive black shoulders to check on his bride I drew my bow. He swung his head back toward the trail, 4 steps later he was head down drinking the cool mountain water. I cannot remember holding my breath but I do recall sucking air in when the arrow I released found it's mark. I could barely see the fletching as it buried deep behind his shoulder.

He grunted as the arrow cleanly cut his lungs and he stumbled side ways. In an awesome effort he leapt in reaction for the far bank and the cover of the willows. As his hoofs struck the mud at waterline he faltered and fell. As I eased from my cover, I saw the cow trot to the timber and disappear from sight. Now some folks might think this sad but I found glory knowing that a new king of the bog had been conceived right before my eyes and tonight I will leave a mineral block for mama and next year I would leave a salt block and bale of for the new champ......... G'night, Moose

Cool story Cody. Thanks!
cool.gif

That's a story to tell, I chased a 50+ bull for 3 weeks of archery season and finnaly got a shot. 17 yards, no wind, open shooting lane from stem to stern, 1/4ing away.....I shot 3 inches over his back and perfectleft and right......20 minutes later I dum-dumed 2 grouse, one at 32 and one at 37 yards.....I have hunted here all my life, all I can figure is I finnaly got buck fever, never bielieved in it. I was not shook up,I was pissed. I have a ton of photos from last fall. I wound up with a 15 5/8 antelope a 32 3/8 5X5 buck deer with my bow, a decent 5X6 bull elk and after 21 years of applying a weeny bull moose. My 8 year old daughter says a "wussy" bull moose. What the heck he eats real good and I would have grand slamed our big game except the sheep and mountain goat, but there's always this year!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back