PEAX Equipment

LASIK - Do It

My hunting partner used to have terrible vision in the field. We would always joke that I was his eyes in the woods because he was so blind and couldn't spot animals when they were too far out. He got LASIK last spring and by the time fall rolled around he was spotting just as many animals as I was! He told me it has changed his whole interaction with the outdoors and how he hunts.

I had PRK surgery done on April 8. I am near 60 and have been wearing glasses since I was in third grade. Recovery has been a process. I couldn't see worth shit for about 10 days. Vision is getting better every day now. Took a long hike this morning and was pretty excited not to worry about glasses fogging on the uphill stuff! Pretty weird not to wear glasses though. Still struggling with that a bit. Just feel off.
How far into recovery are you? I'm looking at getting PRK in the next year or two.
I wanted this year but finances say not happening.
I was told 30-45 days for complete 100% recovery. And the first 20 days that you may regret it because it won't seem good.

EDIT: ReRead - sorry you said April 8th. My brain got going and I forgot what I read! So I was told 30 days on average for 100% recovery and 45 at an extreme. @JEL

Last edited:
How far into recovery are you? I'm looking at getting PRK in the next year or two.
I was told 30-45 days for complete 100% recovery. And the first 20 days that you may regret it because it won't seem good.

EDIT: ReRead - sorry you said April 8th. My brain got going and I forgot what I read! So I was told 30 days on average for 100% recovery and 45 at an extreme. @JEL
Seems right. I was sure feeling regret day 10 but now it’s getting better every day.

Why PRK instead of LASIK?

@homers I was told PRK if you are a candidate lasts longer then Lasik. If with Lasik you are good for 15 years then PRK you would be good for 25.
I'm 34 and been wearing glasses and then contacts since I was like 10 so being 59 before i might need correction again sounds amazing. I was also told PRK is a few other things I don't remember all the details on. But that is one of the two big reasons I'm interested in PRK. If not eligible I'll 100% get Lasik.
@MO Betta interesting - I'm in Alaska and they presented it the other way. Most people can get Lasik they said but only a few with a thick enough Cornea can get PRK. Now I'm intrigued.

I do have a astigmatism so and I don't know if that will get corrected or if I will still need correction for that afterwards - one of the reasons I haven't gotten it done yet.

awesome! My Optometrist said 2 weeks feels like you have sand in your eyes and looking through fogged windows but by week 4 you have perfect vision.
Hang in there!!!
Good to hear and just what I am experiencing. It is weird because right after surgery I could see great then as the eye healed it went downhill. I was a little worried but now know that is normal.

@homers I was told PRK if you are a candidate lasts longer then Lasik. If with Lasik you are good for 15 years then PRK you would be good for 25.
I'm 34 and been wearing glasses and then contacts since I was like 10 so being 59 before i might need correction again sounds amazing. I was also told PRK is a few other things I don't remember all the details on. But that is one of the two big reasons I'm interested in PRK. If not eligible I'll 100% get Lasik.
@MO Betta interesting - I'm in Alaska and they presented it the other way. Most people can get Lasik they said but only a few with a thick enough Cornea can get PRK. Now I'm intrigued.

I do have a astigmatism so and I don't know if that will get corrected or if I will still need correction for that afterwards - one of the reasons I haven't gotten it done yet.
Those of us on the extreme spectrum (severe myopia in my case) are outside the generally accepted range for LASIK. LASIK is generally performed up to a -8 diopter for myopia, vs up to around -12 with PRK.

Had LASIK yesterday and am seeing 20/20 today. After 20 years of glasses and contacts this is the most amazing thing ever (besides watching my daughter be born - still mind blown over that).

If you have been on the fence, just do it. The Xany they give you before calms you enough not to think about it and it’s over before you know it. Can’t wait to get into the field and do overnights not having to worry about glasses/contacts.

Been a big reason I haven’t been a backcountry guy. The fear of losing contacts/glasses back there have definitely been a deterrent. No more!!!!!

glad it worked for you

I'm too "scared" to try lasik for my one good eye

had (what was supposed to be) routine surgery in my left eye,,, four surgeries that week and I was left functionally blind in the left eye. That eye is still optically connected, so the light gets in but can't see anything - my brain tells the eye to open the iris, which then lets in too much light and actually hurts - sunlight is really bad. So I wear a patch or black out the left lens on my old man distance glasses.

gonna have to get way worse for me to ever let a doctor practice on my other eye

A mention about cataract surgery. I had both eyes done probably 10 years ago. There's quite a few non correctable side effects and down sides to it. Do your research and ask questions before making a decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back