Lapua Scenar on game

golfer

Hoping some of you on here could share your experiences using Lapua Scenar bullets on game. How was the meat damage? I’ve read on 24hrcampfire that most bullets seem to exit. Are the exits giagantic holes? I know these aren’t hunting bullets, but have a rifle that shoots them better by far than anything else. Just can’t decide if they are hunting worthy.

That's what I'm using. Have only taken a gopher and an elk so far. I have a number of friends who swear by them.

.284 180 Scenar L's put everything down, not excessively destructive unless you detonate bone. Mine have been stellar from 100 to 500. Admittedly tempted to try Hammers but can't make myself tinker with success.

Curious to hear more about this too. I bought a couple boxes of 139 scenars for my 6.5 prc based on previous comments on this site and other research. Haven’t gotten around to loading any yet.

I’ve hunted with the 136L and 155 a little, and the 139 extensively. Without going back to count exactly I’m sure I’ve killed 20+ animals with them. Elk, deer, bears, antelope.
The 139 is my favorite hunting bullet, IME a great balance of internal damage and penetration. Most have exited. I have full confidence in it as a killer. The 147 ELD is a more efficient bullet, but I prefer the 139 Scenar for hunting.

To those shooting 6.5’s why did you choose the 139 over say the 123?

To those shooting 6.5’s why did you choose the 139 over say the 123?
Pat Sinclair’s recommendation a long time ago. I did try the 136 for kicks one fall but found it more fragile. I didn’t lose anything but didn’t get exits and it appeared relatively more explosive.
Since the 139 has performed so well in practice I don’t really think I’d ever bother with another weight. The 123 beats it very slightly on paper if I recall, but if slipping wind is the #1 priority, both lose to the 147 Hornady anyway.

@golfer

Walt Berger was astonished when he found out a friend of his was using his VLDs for hunting.
Friend assured him it was the best hunting bullet he'd come accross.
And from my experience, they do work great, as long as you stay away from heavy bone.

People in Australia & New Zealand have been using the Hornady A Tip for years & swear by them.

I've heard mixed reviews on MatchKings. Mostly towards not expanding.

I might shoot one, (or 3 :D ) into some jugs of water, or a pile of wet newspaper to see what they do.

I guess if enough people claim to have success you’ll probably do okay. But personally I’d stick to a bullet that the manufacturer intended to be used for hunting.

Berger was surprised to find out that hunters were using their bullets on game with such good success, AND THEN DID EXTENSIVE TESTING OF THEIR OWN. They got good results as well. At the same time, they were also bringing out the VLD-Thick for tight twist barrels shooting at high velocity. They tested the VLD-Thick and determined that expansion was unreliable. Shortly after that, they began marketing VLDs with the original jacket thickness as VLD-Hunting, and renamed the VLD-Thick the VLD-Match. The new bullet was the VLD-Match. The VLD-Hunting was the original. Again, Berger claims that the VLD-Match bullets do not reliably expand on game. At that time, Berger had the thinnest jacket on the market(which was considered a positive for benchrest shooting). At no time that I’m aware of did Lapua ever have Scenars blowing up mid-air the way Bergers did. The point I’m making is that Scenars most likely have a thicker jacket than VLD-Hunting bullets, AND Lapua is not testing Scenars for their hunting performance. That doesn’t mean they won’t work. It just means that I would be less likely to trust them. If you want to use them, I would look for reports using the specific bullet you want to use at the muzzle velocity and target distance that you anticipate. In other words, rather than assume that positive reports about any Scenar means that you’ll get good results, I would look for results for exact setup. If that’s a 30cal 155gr Scenar at 2950fps out to 500yds, then those are the only reports I would look for as an indication of how they will work for you.

10-11 years ago I did shoot a whitetail doe with a Matchking from a 25-06. The bullet essentially acted as an FMJ. Luckily I aimed top of the back and hit her just under the spine. She died instantly, and the pinhole was just under the backstraps. I would not recommend that particular bullet on game. Perhaps some other Matchking would do better.

Again, I’m not saying Scenars won’t work. They’re obviously working great for some folks. I would just focus on reports using a setup and conditions as close to yours as possible, and if reports are good, then you’ll probably be pleased.

Side note. Lapua and Berger are owned by the same company now. Berger makes hunting bullets that are every bit as accurate as Scenars. You might have to tweak your load and/or seating depth to get the same level of accuracy. No reason not to consider Bergers, but I do understand not wanting to change something when it’s working.

Last edited:
@golfer

Walt Berger was astonished when he found out a friend of his was using his VLDs for hunting.
Friend assured him it was the best hunting bullet he'd come accross.
And from my experience, they do work great, as long as you stay away from heavy bone.

People in Australia & New Zealand have been using the Hornady A Tip for years & swear by them.

I've heard mixed reviews on MatchKings. Mostly towards not expanding.

I might shoot one, (or 3 :D ) into some jugs of water, or a pile of wet newspaper to see what they do.
I may be mistaken, but I think Walt had already sold the company to J-4 before they started testing them for hunting, and I don’t think it was a friend of Walt’s that alerted them to the original VLD’s effectiveness on game. I could be wrong.

Hoping some of you on here could share your experiences using Lapua Scenar bullets on game. How was the meat damage? I’ve read on 24hrcampfire that most bullets seem to exit. Are the exits giagantic holes? I know these aren’t hunting bullets, but have a rifle that shoots them better by far than anything else. Just can’t decide if they are hunting worthy.
Well if you can't decide then refer to the manufacturer! Regardless what they were designed for, bullet's will kill if used for what they are. You wouldn't be suggesting that one in the head of an elk might not kill it or maybe one in the gut's might not? Buy bullet's designed to do what you want!

Last edited:
I think this post about Berger Hunting bullets more truth than fiction.

I think this post about Berger Hunting bullets more truth than fiction.

I think it’s 100% true.

Looks like Walt was still the owner at the time, but it wasn’t his friend that told him about hunting with VLDs.

I remember watching Best of the West. Got me thinking I needed to shoot animals way out there. Had the rifle. Bought my first VLD's for it in 2003 or thereabouts. Awesome accuracy. Hated on game performance. (This in my RUM not the .243) I believe John Burns, even if he didn't talk to Berger he created the Berber fandom. mtmuley

Back