Landowner Elk Tag Bill

The sponsor told me he wouldn't support it with amendments either. I sure wish I knew why RMEF and MWF originally supported this. The increase in public access is proving to be minuscule with the existing version of this and I don't see how these changes would increase usage much. On the other hand, you can easily see how this program could change in the future towards RFW. It's quite conceivable that some of PL/PW folks want this as a starting point for something bigger.

Maybe they should kill the existing program too. We are only one unfriendly governor away from having that program expand into including landowner tags. It seems to be a seed ready to germinate into something we don't want.

Last edited:
Not sure when this bill will be considered again, but I received a handwritten postcard note from the sponsor, thanking me for input. Realizing he is a busy legislator, I am appreciative of his acknowledgement of my opinion and it affirms the process of democracy in action ... and reinforces my motivation to be engaged and expressive.

Not sure when this bill will be considered again, but I received a handwritten postcard note from the sponsor, thanking me for input. Realizing he is a busy legislator, I am appreciative of his acknowledgement of my opinion and it affirms the process of democracy in action ... and reinforces my motivation to be engaged and expressive.
Zach has always gotten back with me. He's a smart guy and a legislator that I expect to see great things from as he acquires experience.

I've no doubt he's a nice guy. But there's more to that bill, even without ammendments, than what he emphasized in his note, "free public elk hunting". Devils in the details.

HB 96 will come up for executive action today. Our understanding is that the amendment to allow a broader distribution of the free licenses and permits is still in play. Our vote count is close, and any pressure on the bill would be helpful.

Please take a moment and call 406-444-4800 and politely ask to send a message to the House Fish, Wildlife and Parks Committee not add any amendment to HB 96.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back