Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Land purchase ????

I do not agree. $110K offer on a $125K asking price when on the market for 300 days is not a lowball offer. Submitting a low offer is not insulting at all, the buyer can politely reject it and move on. Offering $115K when she moved to $120 is not low at all, it is called negotiating. The property is clearly not worth $125K (proof: it didn't sell in almost a year), so should the buyer be insulted the asking price was too high? How come only the seller can be insulted? No, of course the buyers shouldn't be insulted, the seller tries to get the most for the property, the buyer tries to get it for the least amount. Just the way it works.

If it was me, I would give her the formal offer at $115k (or maybe $116K cuz that sends a message that you are about done coming up) good for a few days. If that didnt work, I would walk away for a couple of months and then resubmit the same offer. Unless of course those pesky ants invade your britches again....! :oops: If that happens, try the old reliable line of ....you are at 120 and we are at 115, lets meet in the middle and get this done. can also try and squeeze the realtors a little as was mentioned.

By the way, i have seen many, many people use the "this is my lowest price" or "this is my final offer" deal many, many times and then magically they come down in price.

Negotiation is about being willing to walk away. Unless the realtor you're using is different than the realtor she listed the land with remember that realtor works for her. Not you! MOST realtors are interested in getting the listings and not actually expecting to be the one finding the buyer. This then causes the realtor who wants the listing to basically tell the seller whatever they need to here to just get the listing. It's then very hard for them to save face when that lofty price they told the seller it should sell for is just pie in the sky.

Over 300 days for truly desirable and correctly priced land should maybe have you wondering what's wrong with the property. Maybe you need to take a closer look at the property and check with the county. It would really suck if they might need an easement through this land and you didn't know it before buying it.

Something to ponder is that there is no new property being made. If you truly want the property get another agent that will work for you ONLY.
I have listed a piece of property in MT on the Musselshell River. The realtor that I have dealt with is a pinhead. I took it off the market. I will sell by owner now. I am through with realtors asking 10% of the sale price for doing little other than listing the property, taking some pics and planting a for sale sign. If it sells, it sells. If not, good enough.
I would either buy the property or move on. There are other property opportunities out there. MTG

Back