Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Land Owner Hunting Regulations for Montana - HELP

bgood2go

I am lining up some property to buy near Missoula MT and I am looking for some quick overview / guidance on hunting on your own property. I have looked at the FWP/FWC sites but all they want to talk about is hunting on public land or "private" land that is not yours --ugh...so a few questions please -

1. What licenses and or tags do I need to hunt on my own property? For big game of course but also small game, birds etc too? So from what I can see it looks like I would need the following - 1. Base Hunting License AND 2. Conservation license AND 3. one of each of the following General Elk license, General Deer license, and so on and so on PLUS one of each of the following 4. an Elk permit, a deer permit and so on and so on again......is this correct? WOW - better 2nd mortgage my house!
2. Do I need to do the lottery for antlered (or non) Elk tags or can I get them as a resident?
3. FWP mentions something about a 160 acre minimum for preference on obtaining a deer-B permit? So does this mean you cannot apply for a deer permit unless you have more than 160 acres?.. no one else hunts their own property if under 160 acres?? That does not sounds feasible (or believable or reasonable)
4. Also for land owner preference on drawing it say you must have 640 contiguous acres of land?? Again, do they mean just for applying for preferential land owner permit drawing or for being able to get a permit/tag period? Very cryptic and unrealistic here.
5. Are all big game permits by drawing only--period? I saw some mention about residents possibly being able to purchase over the counter (deer or?)?? Again...very unclear and crytic (thats goverment for you though)
6. Do I need to be aware of buying property in a "restricted" hunting area or district? Sounds like there could be base on some wording in the rules ans and regs. Who, what, where, when, how?

I thought it was bad here in Florida for hunting and fishing but apparently Montana is WAY ahead of the extortion game.... for hunting especially...geesz...I need a lawyer to figure this out. What happened to the good ole days of just being able to take a deer or elk from your own farm / land to eat...ahh thats right..government =D

Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone can give to help me break this down and simplify.

Brian

I am lining up some property to buy near Missoula MT and I am looking for some quick overview / guidance on hunting on your own property. I have looked at the FWP/FWC sites but all they want to talk about is hunting on public land or "private" land that is not yours --ugh...so a few questions please -

1. What licenses and or tags do I need to hunt on my own property? For big game of course but also small game, birds etc too? So from what I can see it looks like I would need the following - 1. Base Hunting License AND 2. Conservation license AND 3. one of each of the following General Elk license, General Deer license, and so on and so on PLUS one of each of the following 4. an Elk permit, a deer permit and so on and so on again......is this correct? WOW - better 2nd mortgage my house!
2. Do I need to do the lottery for antlered (or non) Elk tags or can I get them as a resident?
3. FWP mentions something about a 160 acre minimum for preference on obtaining a deer-B permit? So does this mean you cannot apply for a deer permit unless you have more than 160 acres?.. no one else hunts their own property if under 160 acres?? That does not sounds feasible (or believable or reasonable)
4. Also for land owner preference on drawing it say you must have 640 contiguous acres of land?? Again, do they mean just for applying for preferential land owner permit drawing or for being able to get a permit/tag period? Very cryptic and unrealistic here.
5. Are all big game permits by drawing only--period? I saw some mention about residents possibly being able to purchase over the counter (deer or?)?? Again...very unclear and crytic (thats goverment for you though)
6. Do I need to be aware of buying property in a "restricted" hunting area or district? Sounds like there could be base on some wording in the rules ans and regs. Who, what, where, when, how?

I thought it was bad here in Florida for hunting and fishing but apparently Montana is WAY ahead of the extortion game.... for hunting especially...geesz...I need a lawyer to figure this out. What happened to the good ole days of just being able to take a deer or elk from your own farm / land to eat...ahh thats right..government =D

Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone can give to help me break this down and simplify.

Brian
Sorry - question #4 was for Elk drawing specifically..

Brian

Whether you are a resident or not will affect your license availability. Generally speaking.... a resident can buy general licenses and tags over the counter. Elk, deer A, black bear, etc. Nonresident landowners must enter the spring drawing just like every other nonresident. If you have enough acrerage as a non resident landowner, you can get preference over non landowners. That's where the 160 or 640 requirements come in.

Permits are by lottery drawing for resident and nonresident. Landowner PREFERENCE requires 160 acres for deer to get you preference for deer permits in your required area. Otherwise you have the same chance of drawing as non landowers. Similar for elk execpt it requires 640 acres. You can hunt your own land or any other land you have permission for as long as you have a permit.

A lot of the area around Missoula falls under the general license regulations. A few areas close by have permits that allow you extra opportunity for extra tags or access not provided by the general tag.

Residency requirements to buy a resident license are specifically outlined in the regs, but generally require a minimum of 180 days residing in the state before buying tags, voting registration in MT if registered to vote, vehicles registered in MT and not having purchased a resident license in any other other state.

Best bet is to read the hunting regulations and visit the nearest FWP office or call with questions. As alluded to above, much depends on how much property you own, where it is located (ie; hunting district), where you vote, register vehicles, and so on. (ie; resident or nonresident?)
If it's less than one hundred sixty acres, the property ownership doesn't provide any license or permit advantages.

when were these good old days of taking a deer or elk without license and tags?
A little over a century ago ... when Montana wildlife was decimated close to the brink of extinction for several species. Reading the book or watching the documentary, BACK FROM THE BRINK, will give you a real appreciation for the value of wildlife management entrusted to the state on behalf of its citizens.

@bgood2go you were that kid in school who screwed up the “direction” assignment in school that said “1. Read all the directions first” and ended “Just sit quietly”.

Every state has nuanced regs, before you demand someone explain them or complain about them, just take 15 min and read the damn things.

Montana has probably the cheapest hunting + most opportunity of any state in the US save Alaska for residents, for Non-residents they are great but more complicated.

If you have enough money to buy a second home out of state and are complaining about license cost all you’re gonna get around here is eye rolls.

Brian, just a Hunttalk friendly recommendation ... don't go for that Missoula property deal. 'Sounds like you already have your hands full of Florida government issues. Montana gubment permeates every level from local school boards to city commissions, county commissions, state legislature, many state agencies (to include the baffling regulatory Fish, Wildlife & Parks), plus the myriad of various and assorted federal agencies ... even the FBI and federal marshall.

Heck, most transplanted citizens here don't even know how we got all this gubment! Many move here for the wild west freedom to do whatever you want on your own land and to shoot whatever game crosses your fence line. Many hearken back for the days when you could shoot that elk or deer on your own land ... and the anarchy accompanying the movement to take wildlife to the brink of nonexistence. Not the case now, so you may want to pick another place to settle, perhaps where the regulations are not so confusing. Best of luck to you.

Understand about the cynicism here guys - completely. Locals are not very inclined to give good advice to new people moving into their hunting areas. But I would bet most of you were not born and raised in Montana nor were your parents, so just like them I would like to move to this beautiful land for quality of life for me and my family. Everyone’s family was new to Montana at some point right?

I am a very environmentally conscientious person who cares about managing the wild life as much as anyone. Yes, there are many yahoos who just want to buy land and rent it out to hunters and kill everything that they see, I am not one of those. I am looking for a place to retire to where I can enjoy a nice quiet hunt on my own land and take a deer or an elk for my own consumption once a year. I am not a trophy hunter and never will be! I enjoy the hunt and meat –not the “racks”! I’ve got nothing else to prove at this point in my life.

And just for those who believe that wildlife “belongs” to the “public” only, you are seriously misinformed and misled. Wildlife is just that – wild. It is to be taken equally on public land or private land or any land!! Yes, with limitations and some common sense conservation regulations.

Again, as I mentioned in my original post, I have read over all the regs on the FWD and FWC! However, as everyone knows, decrypting these and making sense about what is really needed and required is an algorithm that only locals know the answers to for sure, because they have lived and experienced it. I guess I was not expecting this amount of resistance here in this public “help” forum. Isn’t “helping” the reason for this forum?

I do expect to follow rules and regulations but again, I do not understand what those are for sure, especially for hunting on your own land, as mentioned previously.

Again, what do I have to enter a lottery for? What Can I buy a tag / permit for over the counter? If I have less than 160 or 640 acres can I get any kind of tag or permit for deer or elk at all or not? Or are these regs just referring to preferential drawings that apply only to these acreage requirements? Again, this is not clarified /detailed on the FWD regs…so how am I supposed to know this? Osmosis? Again, for govt regs, the intent is to be as generic and ambiguous as possible for their benefit of administering/enforcing the rules/law as they see fit. In Montana and everywhere else.

Again guys, I am just looking for a little guidance to get a grasp on how these regs and rules really apply. I just don’t want to buy a home site and find that I can never hunt on it.

Thank you again for any insight.

Brian

@ Gerald Martin - I did see your positive and informative feedback and thank you for that! Greatly appreciated!

As far as I know the only "special" treatment is if you own 640 acres ,or more. Then you are granted land owner preference for deer or elk tags...if those animals are utilizing your property. The land owner preference increases your odds of drawing a tag in the unit your land lies on. It does not guarantee you a tag every year but more frequently than the average joe who applies for that unit. Your land may or may not be in a unit which has a special drawing or lottery. YOU have to figure that out by comparing the location of your land to the units determined by Fish and Game. The unit #'s vary from species to species.
By the way, montana wildlife does belong to the public..people like you buy large tracts of land to keep the public out...and that's it.
For an articulate guy stop playing the lame game. Your money doesn't entitle you to as much as you think. Disclaimer : dont take my word for it..how about calling Montana Fish and Game?

@ Hem and wllm131 - My wife and I worked our *** off for everything we have boys - so get over your money fixation and conspiracy theories.. your slip is showing! Never heard of helping your neighbor?? or does eveyone have a hidden agenda now--sounds like paranoia ...thanks for your wonderful insight...maybe look for another forum to "help" people

Rancho Loco------That is at Hem and wllm1313 with their comments about I am some rich guy who wants to buy land and rent it out to hunters and kill everything and take away from public hunting etc (see comments) - it was not directed at anyone one else.

I am glad to speak to the FWP and ask them but if any of you have every tried getting details from the FWC or any other goverment agency you will understand why I am asking for some insider guidance from locals..right? Otherwise what do we have these forums for ? We should just have a link on this page pointing everyone who comes here to the FWP website and tell them to figure it out for themself right?...am I off base here--seriously? If this is the attitude of the moderators of this forum then I will be glad to drop off right now. I wouldn't want to force anyone to disclose any confidential information about hunting in Montana or help a fellow hunter - God forbid!.....I sure hope this is not any reflection about the people who live there or else i may want to reconsider the move too. Never imagined I would get this kind of harassment for asking for help. I guess this is the new America and social media ......so inspiring

Jesus you're wound way too tight. Call the FWP and quit sobbing.

P.S. Did you ask your RE Agent these questions? If you have an agent who is worth anything, they'll have this info, or get it for you.

There's alot of good people on this forum, alot of them from MT. Your approach is everything. You should go back and re-read/re-evaluate your first post. FWIW landownership does not entitle one to wildlife ownership.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back