Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Land exchange Elk Unit 7 **action alert**

BuzzH

I know that there are some guys on this board that have hunted unit 7 for elk near this proposed exchange. I have personally hunted with several people from this board that have shot elk very close to this...

Anyway, here are the links to the proposal and maps:

Map of proposed land exchange. The owner is asking for 1,041 acres of state ground in the cow creek area, that borders his ranch. This will eliminate access to another 4200 acres of public land. The state would "gain" 295 acres that the same guy owns near Moskee (Black Hills area).

http://slf-web.state.wy.us/surface/landtransactions/2016/Bonander/Map.pdf

Proposal and application:

http://slf-web.state.wy.us/surface/landtransactions/2016/Bonander/Application.pdf

There are things in this proposal that are simply untrue. Mainly that there is no public easement to the state lands Bonander wants to acquire. There is, via the Esterbrook road, through another section of State. Bondander also released an email, claiming that the Moskee ground the state will acquire is opening up "thousands of acres". That's not true, either...the public land that borders those 295 acres is already accessible via National Forest roads, etc.

So, this boils down to a very bad deal for hunters in an area that already has somewhat limited access. This is on the fast track to detailed analysis, but we still have time to act NOW.

Comments would be appreciated and should be sent to Julie Mccully email: [email protected]

Make sure to specify that this about the Bonander exchange.

This is really another clear cut example of exactly why a transfer of public lands to the States is a horrible idea. If all the BLM and FS were suddenly State lands, there would be exchanges happening all the time that lock us out of our public lands.

Also fair to note, is that Wyoming BHA is working on this exchange as well as another exchange that is even more damaging to hunters via locking us out of legal access to our public lands.

Buzz, about to send some comments. For situational awareness, is the ranch outfitted for hunting? By your assessment what is trying to be achieved by Bonander? It looks like they only pay $686/year for the grazing lease, I would guess the difference in taxes between the two chunks of land is probably more than that.

Buzz, when will the decision be made on this? I was just made aware of this thread this morning. I have hunted 7 antlerless elk with my wife. We had a hard enough time finding elk on public land, I'd hate to see another piece lost.

Fights like this are going to become more and more common as increasing numbers of landowners try to lock up large swaths of public lands for their own private use by securing small sections in strategic locations. Complete BS.

Buzz, about to send some comments. For situational awareness, is the ranch outfitted for hunting? By your assessment what is trying to be achieved by Bonander? It looks like they only pay $686/year for the grazing lease, I would guess the difference in taxes between the two chunks of land is probably more than that.

As far as I know, the ranch is NOT outfitted. The landowner does receive landowner bull elk tags.

From correspondence I've had with other hunters, GF, etc., Bonander is just looking to block access to the NF and BLM to hold elk for himself. Apparently, the elk currently don't stay on Bonanders as he has roaded the private and rarely leaves the seat of a machine. His "hunting" activities actually push the elk onto public. If you read his comments he claims that the NF and BLM is not accessible from the State. I have talked to several people who have accessed that BLM and FS through the State and killed bull elk both on the State and BLM. Its not accessible by vehicle, but 100% is foot and horse accessible.

Another BHA board member has talked with an outfitter that does access the area via the current State land holdings around Bonanders.

All of this will be lost if the exchange happens.

From what we're hearing, the detailed analysis is going to happen, I have not seen it yet. I know that Bonander is pulling political strings to make this happen. He sent an email out to a wide range of his friends to write letters in support of it. Since then, the hunting public has responded in kind, sending a bunch of emails making calls etc.

Right now, we're asking BHA members, and all public land hunters, to send in comments. Once the detailed analysis happens, the Wyoming Chapter is going to respond via writing and in person when the meetings involving this proposal happen. We have also taken this issue to the Wyoming Sportsmens Alliance, and are getting support from all the groups we've talked to so far.

In the meantime, keep pounding them with emails and I'll keep everyone up to date as this progresses.

Thank you guys for taking the time to comment...this is an important area for access in unit 7.

Last edited:
I have shot an elk on the public ground that this land owner is trying to acquire. To answer your question Ross, yes someone was outfitting when I last hunted it a few years ago and from what I understand want to expand their operations. Somewhere if I can find the photos, I have pictures of posted signs put up by someone associated with that ranch well into public land. This is just another bad deal for sportsman by someone trying to make extra $$ off lands that need to stay in public hands!!!

e300, is it your understanding that the outfitter is hunting the public? But not outfitting on Bonanders private?

That's what I'm hearing, but if you know different, please share.

I agree that this is another classic example of why we don't want the transfer of federal lands to the States as well. It is so easy for private landowners to grease the local politicians to do exchanges like this with State lands.

The problem is, the State Land Board is not required, by law, to consider the impacts to recreation, hunting, etc. when horrific land exchanges like this take place.

Transfer Federal Lands to the States...and we will be fighting so many of these types of land exchanges, we wont have time to hunt or recreate.

It should be noted that the outfitter using the state land to access the NF land, is not to my knowledge involved at all with Bonander. I have spoke with both of them and initially there were a lot of hard feelings between the two. I personally know the outfitter for many years and he is a "straight arrow" operation, but for some reason won't talk to media about the adverse effects this will have on his personal and business hunting.

I have hunted this area and I have walked into the part they claim is inaccessible on the north part. It is accessible by foot no problem. Currently none of the state, BLM, or FS land is inaccessible by walking. I made a sketch to show all of the land that would become completely inaccessible. I used the link Buzz supplied and emailed Julie and attached my sketch of the map. She emailed me right back and said they would present my sketch.
land_transfer.jpg

Why is he offering to trade far fewer acres than he wants in return? Is his land more valuable than what he will be getting in return?

Why is he offering to trade far fewer acres than he wants in return? Is his land more valuable than what he will be getting in return?

The land board uses a value for value equation when exchanging land, not acre for acre. The Black Hills land appraised higher than the Laramie Range ground.

The land board uses a value for value equation when exchanging land, not acre for acre. The Black Hills land appraised higher than the Laramie Range ground.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still a raw deal for sportsman, but at least it's dollar for dollar. Hopefully it can be stopped.

When I had that tag a few years back we saw the outfitter on both public and private ground. That may have changed since that time. I have not been back up there since then due to a lack of tags for the area in my pocket.

When I had that tag a few years back we saw the outfitter on both public and private ground. That may have changed since that time. I have not been back up there since then due to a lack of tags for the area in my pocket.

The outfitter leases a neighbors place and accesses the public from there.

Update

Whatever happened with this? Hunted this area. Hate this "trade."

This was shot down mainly due to the efforts of the Wyoming BHA Chapter. The Wyoming Chapter was awarded the George Bird Grinnell Award just yesterday, largely due to killing this. Several HT members were the heavy lifters on this.

Back