Lake Michigan decree and additional gill netting

MITCHMO

Anyone hear about the new decree? I’m pretty disappointed that the tribe would pursue additional gill netting in an already fragile fishery. I’m even more disappointed that Michigan DNR signed it without any negotiations.

I’m pretty confident the additional gill netting is going to destroy the fishery. I don’t look at it as natives vs non-native. I look at it as bad resource management. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Just another example MIDNR is political animal that could care less about its residents as a whole.

Here’s a link to a local newspaper article.

On a most disappointing note is that it would seem the Native Americans broke their own agreement, and want to switch back to to more efficient gill nets to combat poor harvest numbers which would go against helping sustain the resource. From the article:

“Sport fishing groups disagree, Amy Trotter, executive director of the Michigan United Conservation Clubs told the AP. She referenced a previous $14 million payout to tribal operations to transition away from gill nets.”

Plus expanding the area in the lake for gill nets. Nets are poorly visually marked, poorly identified locations, no recourse for lost nets that seem to float around.

Plus expanding the area in the lake for gill nets. Nets are poorly visually marked, poorly identified locations, no recourse for lost nets that seem to float around.
I called in an abandoned net and the DNR wasn’t even going to deal with it until I somewhat lost my mind. I let them know I knew a guy who lost 4 family members in a drowning accident when their boat and gear got tangled in a poorly marked net.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back