KW's Lion Picture

View

KW, tell us the story!

[This message has been edited by Bear Creek Adventures (edited 03-10-2001).]

This is a cat that I treed a couple years ago in Colorado. 150lb male We had about 1 inch of new snow late in the night and found the track at first light. I put my two dogs on it at the road, and they took it at a good clip,up into a side canyon. After trailing for about two miles, through a deep canyon, the snow was waste deep on the north slope, the cat was jumped and treed after a short race. We were less than a half mile from the truck! After some pictures and a lot of dog petting a guy I had traded alion hunt for an elk hunt, shot the cat.It was the 15th of March, and the snow was sure deep in the shade but none on the south slopes. We hunted again thenext morning as it snowed an inch over night and caught another cat less tha 3 miles from there!I might post a pic of it if anyone wants to see it. KW

We cut this track the next day , not far from the first lion pic. Dogs took it from the road, trailed across some pretty rough stuff, some snow some burnt off. Started the track about 8am ad jumped it about 10am, high in the rimrock. He didnt run far and treed in a small juniper, not tall enough!!This tree was right on the edge of a very high cliff that dropped off about 800ft, in 30 to 50ft benches, As wecame up to the tree, the lion came out and the guy with the gun shot it in mid air. The cat was hit in the front shoulder and took a couple of leaps along the cliff and then tried to jump across about a 25ft wide cut. He just about made it, as it hit theother rim with its front half, but couldnt get a hold with its bad leg. It fell about 60ft straight down and landed on the rocks where you see it, The fall prett well did it in. I took this pic looking straight down between my feet as I am sitting on the edge of a rim I climbed down to. We climbed down to it and rolled it off a few times and it went to the bottom along with a small avalanche. It was an extremly tireing hunt as we had to wallow in snow up to our belly a few times and didnt have my snowshoes,but one I wont ever forget! KW

------------------

Great story KW! I had a big coon try that same jump once, One of my hounds went with him, about a 20 foot drop, he was unhurt tho..
biggrin.gif

Cool pictures KW! The first one of the cat snarling has been a broken link though since the first time I looked at it. Is it just me or does everyone have the problem? If it's not just me can you fix it BCA? A lot of folks would like to see it I'll bet.

------------------
Clint Gray
Buckshot Outfitting
http://www.angelfire.com/id/buckhunting

OK, I think I got the first picture fixed. Sorry about that, I rearranged my album and forgot to change the link. Great story KW! Looks like some rough a$$ country. I wish we could train them to tree in some nice gentle country, close to the road would be nice too!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back