MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Kupreanof Island Cast and Blast May 2022

Day 4: Another beautiful day! We couldn’t believe our luck. Fishing yielded more rockfish but no halibut. Maybe a Yelloweye or two. A fun fight but too bad you can’t keep those buggers any more.

Decided to go on a sight seeing mission and hunt a different part of the island that we had yet to see. Like a dangerous woman, it was beautiful but we were sure to tread carefully. Other hunters had already dinged a prop in there already.

I swear some of these bears are trained to run as soon as they hear a boat motor idle down! We spotted a bear on a spit of grass but it ran as soon as we tried to slow down. A bummer for sure but we were happy to be seeing a bear.

We kept on our merry way and my brother took it upon himself to drive in to this large bay. We made our way south into the bay and did not see any bears. Coming back north in the bay, we passed the first hunters we had seen in 4 days. We waved and not long after my brother turns it says I think that’s a bear!

Sidenote: Now, it strikes me as odd that the boat driver spotted both bears that we ended up killing and not the guy in the back standing there with $1000 binoculars… mind you, Helen Keller could’ve seen this bear standing out in the middle of a big glass flat but, I digress…

This time we decided to act like we had “been there“ an eased our way around the corner. I carefully got out of the boat with my essentials and made my way down the beach and around the corner into the Cove. The wind when I could finally see the bear was coming from the bear to me. Perfect. I snuck down the beach a little. Ranged the bear. 174 yards. Rifle is zeroed at 200 so well within range. I got prone but didn’t like the left right angle I was laying on so I found a flatter spot. I contemplated getting closer and I certainly think I could have with a bear being so content eating grass but I figured since I was in range and the wind could switch any minute so I better make this count Before I ran out of time.

I must confess, I did not get the same feeling this was an immediate shooter like when I saw my brother's bear but my heart was still thumpin. I did notice immediately that it had a perfect long jet black coat and it had wide set ears with a good size skull on it indicating that it was definitely a mature animal. I did feel that when broadside the bear did taper slightly toward the front shoulders indicating that it may be a sow but I am not experienced enough to be able to tell them apart by that alone. The bear seemed mature, had a perfect coat, had a good size head on it and that checked all the boxes for me. My heart was certainly thumping now. I waited for the bear to get broadside and actually went slightly quartering away. I found the middle of the middle and gently squeezed the trigger till the boom surprised me. Off it went straight into the woods. Oh boy…

063DE9B0-26A8-487A-9EF4-CA413D5613AE.JPG

I immediately heard the boat motor fire up and my brother came around into the cove. I told him what had happened and felt like I had made a good shot but that bear was alive until proven dead in my eyes. I walked my brother in using my rangefinder to the exact spot that I felt the bear had been. Surprisingly, my brother immediately found hair but no blood which I was not surprised by. The long coat soaks up any chance of getting a blood trail. I turned on the tracking function on my OnX app and went to work following this big beaten down moose trail that seemed like the path of least resistance but no sign of a bear running at full speed. From experience with my brother's bear and others, it seems that if you make a good shot the bear does not go more than 40 yards. We looked for any sign of churned up dirt or scuff marks on a log or any sort of disturbance going up the trail. No dice. I searched in a wagon wheel pattern into the woods. After about 45 minutes, my brother spotted a dark spot in the under growth...

AD9EF767-CAED-4798-A2C4-EA37DDCF1A1B.JPG

There SHE was. A wave of emotion came over me. I was so relieved to have recovered her and that she didn’t suffer. Did not go 35 yds. She certainly was smaller than I thought she was but still a good sized sow. It is so hard to judge how big an animal is when there are no others around.

8E6D6BD6-2370-45C4-B605-ADE4BAFA9A79.JPGF7371FBF-B04D-428B-89EE-0E2B875BE391.JPG

After a few pictures, we skidded her down the beach for some more pics and so we could work on her.

DB72CBA2-C38B-4C51-BB0B-2DFE5027E1F7.JPG45F67266-4DE5-4DFE-A482-314B6173E42D.JPG88DC6095-2A00-4C2D-8C2F-46D7DD931BB8.JPG

A cool little smile on her chest.
7FE8F5C3-802E-4A24-BB23-447C4BAE7F0B.JPG
C04F3580-131B-4347-8C76-5D7F3D284D8C.JPG

4E68E22C-A53B-4964-8766-3C78480392BB.JPGB5D1826D-EF7D-4F09-9B43-CD3C091DF738.JPG
65912D00-F362-4CF1-A602-F1C6CCEF977C.JPG
3BE84457-745A-492F-BEBC-776D4915F9AA.JPG

Just like that, we were tagged out. We could not believe we had come all that way and had achieved our goal in such an amazing place with such amazing weather. On the boat ride home, I did my best to take take in the bear, the beauty that surrounded us and enjoy every last drop of that victory beer.

Authors Note: If its just two guys hunting, I highly recommend shooting your bear on an incoming tide like i did so you can avoid the track meet in your chest waders. Just sayin'.

Low on light and short on time after returning home. We let the bear cool in the boat to get taken care of in the a.m. Time for some more mystery beers!

Last edited:
Days 5: The morning was dedicated to taking care of my bear. Then we got out for some fish. Got some more rock fish but in between Yelloweye's, I hooked into this 32" Lingcod which is essentially my non resident limit for the year as you can keep one between 30-45" and one 55+" which is basically a unicorn. I had to stop my brother from bonking the fish until we could measure it and then he had to stop me from sticking my thumb in its razor tooth mouth! Rookies...
5C355774-7C8F-40EE-BC51-D2C77347FF50.JPG
Day 6: Weather turned a bit and we killed more beers than fish.

8FF9F41F-2775-4682-A6EA-A5A8EBD7277A.JPGF70C626F-4929-4CA0-9569-37AF604F6308.JPG

Overall, I could not have asked for a better week with my brother in a new amazing place that I cannot wait to get back to. We bonded and made memories we'll remember forever. Already looking forward to the next trip!

Sounds like another amazing trip. I love that ling cod - we never hooked one.

We hunted Kupreanof as well and concentrated on some bays off the the east quite a ways. Long runs, but great country with very little hunting pressure. We did not see a lot of bears, but that wasn't really a big deal for us.

This is my kind of hunt, I'm going to be doing some research here in the near future. Congrats !

Top notch write up and a nice adventure. Thanks for taking the time.

Awesome hunt! I also can't wait to go back. I think a third person in the boat would be a game changer, even if it's someone without a tag. That many more fish to bring home. Congratulations.

Im glad someone had a kupreanof or kuiu tag this year, I hunted kuiu last year and cannot wait to go back.
Kuiu is next on the list for me. 3/3 kuiu tags were filled while I was there. Those folks saw far for bears than we did. How was your hunt? Feel free to pm if have time.

Awesome hunt! I also can't wait to go back. I think a third person in the boat would be a game changer, even if it's someone without a tag. That many more fish to bring home. Congratulations.
I definitely plan to go with two other guys next time. That seems to be about right for the amount of tags and for being able to bear hunt efficiently.

Congrats on a great adventure. Great pictures and write up.
Top notch write up and a nice adventure. Thanks for taking the time.
This is my kind of hunt, I'm going to be doing some research here in the near future. Congrats !
Very nice! Congrats on a great adventure!
Great hunt
Well done guys
Thank you very much! @JT13 definitely give this hunt a look on GoHunt. It’s worth every penny!

Sounds like another amazing trip. I love that ling cod - we never hooked one.

We hunted Kupreanof as well and concentrated on some bays off the the east quite a ways. Long runs, but great country with very little hunting pressure. We did not see a lot of bears, but that wasn't really a big deal for us.
Thanks! I feel lucky to have caught one. It tasted amazing! Really nice texture. We never made it over that far. Would possibly run up into Duncan canal if I ever had the tag again. Looks like a cool area up in there.

Perfect! Halibut, bear, and we are only on day 2! Keep 'em coming!

I'll be interested to hear the propeller and front door count at the end. :)
We were scared straight by stories of guys going too fast in shallow water. We wanted to only extra expenses to be taxidermy and shipping meat home. One boat dinged two props going up Rocky Pass. That is the only boat mishap I heard of that week.

Loving it! SE AK is a special place. I to learned really quickly to watch the tides we were stuck dry docked for hours, luckily we had two bears down a half mile into the bay that took a while to work up and skin.
It truly is amazing. Can’t wait to make it back. Sounds like you had plenty of work on yours hands and we’re gonna be there a while anyway!

Great story. Don't fret the wolf. They often stink something fierce and you two had your hands full with that big bear. Be interested to learn how it eats after it's been dining on marine food all the time.
Live and learn i suppose. I will have to post how it tastes on here. My bear was mowing down the grass but was also taking in mussels and crabs too I’m sure.
Those bass are good eating and they seem to run in big herds. One rod goes off and then they all do. Just stay in the same spot and keep reeling em in. The meat stays together better than rock cod. Nothing compared to halibut but the bass fight better. Halibut just use their weight.
I’ve heard they are great eating and they do group up well. Super fun to catch! Halibut are like reeling a wet sweat shirt but I’ll take it any time one is on the line!

Back