Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kuiu Yukon Gaiters sizing ?????

dzlfarmboy

Just receive my first pair of gaiters ever and think they may be a tad snug and wanted some opinions before I make a final decision here's a pic with just blue jeans and then one with bibs. Just wondering if I should opt for the XL. I'm only 5,10 190lbs

Thanks Brett

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that they do not come up high enough. I like mine to be just under my knee cap and just over my calf muscle. It is possible yours can be adjusted by the heal strap. If not you may want the bigger size. I do however like a snug dit so they dont rub togethwr when I walk. I almost always wear a pair while hunting.

I've never owned a pair so I'm just curious. Do the zippers go to the front? They look backwards but it's probably just me.

After looking at the KUIU website I guess I am as ignorant as I thought I was. Carry on and don't mind me....

I think they come up high enough, and they do have an adjustable boot strap. Just wanted to make sure they wrapped around enough with a thicker pant on.

You have them on correctly and it looks like you have them adjusted pretty close. The first time I adjust mine, I close the velcro in front and hook the laces a the height I want it. Then, snug the boot strap up (not tight) and leave it there. Just snug up the upper strap, otherwise you'll end up with cold feet when your circulation is diminished.

Keep in mind what those gaiters are designed for. They are technical backpacking gear and are not designed to fit over Carhartt coveralls. If I were you, I'd simply wear the gaiters underneath the coverall legs, or not at all. What function will they serve with the coveralls? You aren't going to be doing much hiking in those are you?

Also, gaiters shouldn't have a lot of excess fabric at the ankle area because they will get shredded if you are wearing them with crampons. Looks to me like you have the right size.

If you're wearing thick, insulated pants I would go up a size. These are designed to be worn with the KUIU line of pants and limited bulk.

I'd look into OR or Kennetrek gaiters for something that is going to fit over bulky, insulated clothing.

Yeah I think I just need to invest in a nice pair of mountain pants. Those bibs are more suited for waterfowl/stand hunting.

You have them on correctly and it looks like you have them adjusted pretty close. The first time I adjust mine, I close the velcro in front and hook the laces a the height I want it. Then, snug the boot strap up (not tight) and leave it there. Just snug up the upper strap, otherwise you'll end up with cold feet when your circulation is diminished.

Keep in mind what those gaiters are designed for. They are technical backpacking gear and are not designed to fit over Carhartt coveralls. If I were you, I'd simply wear the gaiters underneath the coverall legs, or not at all. What function will they serve with the coveralls? You aren't going to be doing much hiking in those are you?

Also, gaiters shouldn't have a lot of excess fabric at the ankle area because they will get shredded if you are wearing them with crampons. Looks to me like you have the right size.
What he said! The few times I've work gaiters with insulated bibs, I've worn them underneath them. Keeps the snow out of my boots and the bottoms of my inner pants dry.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back