KUIU... the new chit....I guess...

Greenhorn can't justify the price because he only works about 30 days a year and scouts/hunts the rest.

He can definitely attest to the efficacy of outfitter microtex pants and baseball hoodies though.

Kurt you still wear camo when you bowhunt though don't you?

To me it's not any better than Mountain Hardware or even Columbia stuff, but it's really not that more expensive either when you can buy it 50-75% off, which you can.

Yeah I feel like an idiot wearing camo rifle hunting, but I'm not going to buy separate clothes for what weapon I'm carrying.

I have under armor and sitks gear.The sitka gear is good stuff but the under armor seems better to me.Love my 90% pants but I froze when wearing the 90% jacket bowhunting wisconsin in sept.Both these clothing companies have a great fit.

Greenhorn has worn Fingernail polish hunting after going drag in a Halloween party. I'm still trying to get my wife sold on that one............

I"m with Randy. I think Camo is silly even Rifle hunting, but that's mostly what I have. I'm slowly replacing it though. I would like a lightweight waterproof jacket that doesn't make me sweat though......

Here I thought carhart and lee jeans were top of the line.
Here's the original pack that still works the best!!!

Attachments

• Rears mower 048.jpg
    Rears mower 048.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,232
You can't judge an entire clothing line on a friggin beanie...

I'm not judging the whole line I'm just saying if they can't even keep my friggin head warm I don't think I'm ready to give up on my chit that works. I'll likely try some of their other stuff down the road.

Last edited:
Dink, I'm reminded of the face-painting opening days of archery season by the stupid photos I have in my reloading room..

Man I painted my face this year to see if I could get lucky and it worked. Don't crush me now by saying it was luck:D I did use an old burn't stump though for the black color. Hey I'm going green.

Back to KUIU, what I want to know is if it's quality or if it's some weak attempt at maintaining the guys ego after leaving a company like Sitka. The camo pattern they are testing looks pretty silly....I'm no expert though. The carbon fiber backpack frame has serious potential however. Anyone know what happened between the two guys that caused them to split?

I don't think I've bought a piece of camo gear in probably 3 years and have been slowly replacing what I have with quality Pataguchi type stuff. Now I learn that Sitka is on the same level? If the Pataguchi stuff won't keep me dry why would I expect the Sitka stuff to? I have a hard time convincing myself that 90% of a jacket is worth the money. For that kind of money. I want the whole 100%! :)

I don't drink the "quiet" koolaid anymore either. I firmly believe the swishing nylon noise is more annoying to us than actually alarming to an animal. I also don't think it carries far enough to scare anything off.

Back to the packs... This one looks pretty sweet. Kifaru is also coming out with a light weight pack next week. There is some info on their site. Doesnt sound like it will be bomb proof but for a sheep/goat hunt once a year :) I think one could be making it's way to my house.

Last edited:
I don't drink the "quiet" koolaid anymore either. I firmly believe the swishing nylon noise is more annoying to us than actually alarming to an animal. I also don't think it carries far enough to scare anything off.

That must be those Alaska animals you're talking about...

Being quiet is not "koolaid," its what you absolutely have to do if you want to get close to animals in cover. You'd never be able to track down an elk or still hunt a buck with pants that swished every time you took a step or a jacket that sounded like a plastic tarp when branches rubbed againt it

I've a few animals to my credit over the years many with a bow and muzz. Elk are NOT hard to sneak up on. I don't need some wonder fabric to make me invisible and noiseless. I firmly believe that the swishing noise you hear from nylon type cloths does not carry very far at all.

I'm surprised I can get in the same county as any animal when stalking with a big noisy MR pack on. It's the noisiest piece of gear I own including a pair of OR gaitors. The last elk I killed with it on was at 14 steps.

I'm surprised I can get in the same county as any animal when stalking with a big noisy MR pack on. It's the noisiest piece of gear I own including a pair of OR gaitors. QUOTE]

I agree..mine is awful at times. I've tried everything and can't seem to solve the noise issue.

Hey Ernie

Looks like they made it a few notches cheaper. On average it looks about 40% cheaper than Sitka’s 2011 line. Better design, Higher quality fabrics, Made in North America. If you’ve read any of Jason Hairston’s posts he doesn’t have an ego, he’s a class act. He response to almost every post and values everyone input. Kuiu’s business model cuts out the middle man to provide the consumer wholesale pricing. His fabrics are cutting edge, not 30 year old technology like GORE. If you have questions about the camo pattern wait until you see it in the field.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/kuius-pricing-structure/

Jason Widaman

The retail that is.

It looks like shopping at Kohls. You saved..............................................$$$$$

Man I painted my face this year to see if I could get lucky and it worked. Don't crush me now by saying it was luck:D I did use an old burn't stump though for the black color. Hey I'm going green.

Lip Gloss and Rouge with Mascara is not what they are talking about! LOL John

I love my MR packs.

I’m no math major but the cost of a MR Crew Cab with a NICE frame is $480 and weights 8lbs. The KUIU Icon frame with a 3000 bag is $500, and it’s just over 3lbs. People spend hundreds of dollars to shave ounces off their gear. KUIU just reduced the weight by 5 pounds for the same price as the leading competitor in the market.

Notice that KUIU will be sold exclusively on line at kuiu.com at wholesale prices.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back