Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

KUIU Packs

tzone

Does anyone have experience with KUIU packs? I have ZERO experience with any sort of decent pack. I have a badlands pack that is find for single day deer hunting and sitting. But, I don't have anything that I could really use to pack out a critter if I need to...and I'm hoping next fall...I need to. :D

From what I've been looking at the KUIU system looks like it will fit what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

The new Kuiu Pro is a great pack. It’s way more comfy than previous models. I’ve used quite a few packs over the years and currently run a Kuiu. It fits me well.
Buying a high end pack is more about personal fit IMO. Ive tried quite a few packs in the past and some just didn’t fit my back/body type well.
I’d look at Kuiu, Kifaru, Seek outside and Stone glacier and find what fits you best. Test it under a heavier load also.

thank you.

Do stores let you try them out with weight in them? Or, do I need to buy them and return the ones I don't like typically?

I have the Icon Pro with the 1850, 3200, and 5600 bags. I like being able to swap from one to the other. Keeps things simple.

thank you.

Do stores let you try them out with weight in them? Or, do I need to buy them and return the ones I don't like typically?

The hard part is finding stores that carry them. Most of these high end packs are only found in specialty stores or on the manufactures website.

If you go to the SG headquarters in Bozeman Pete will load you up with as many sand bags as you can handle.

Regardless of what pack you buy, keep in mind It's important to learn how to adjust that pack to fit you. High end packs not adjusted to fit you may not perform the best and may result in thinking the pack is the problem.

I have an older KUIU Ultra with an 1850 bag and 3200 bag. I like it and have used it a lot. I think it would be even better with the new waist belt. I also have a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth and like it a lot too.

I have an icon pro 3300. It's the best, lightest pack I've ever owned, and can pack a lot of weight.

Things I don't like: belt pockets are not easy to open and close while the pack is on. There is a squeak on top of the frame when loaded heavy. Packing a quarter with the bag on is doable but not as easy as some other packs. The inside pockets are mostly worthless.

That said, I still like the pack and will continue to use it.

Well now I might need two. The MR Whitetail may be just the ticket for my deer hunting. :)

The improvements made with the Pro belt and suspension this year, plus the light weight (I run a Ultra 4000 for 6-7 days), combined with a relatively low price sold me on the Pro...zero complaints from me or my hunting partner who had the same setup this year.

uoqlSon.jpg

7200 ultra here, really like it. No real complaints except that the ultra suspension is not as comfortable as the pro. Make sure to wear it in with some heavy weight. My hips felt a lot better after a bunch of hikes and softening of the hip belt. I also have the 1800’and it’s a really nice day pack. I would rather buy the next size up if I did it again. Too hard to fit warm clothes for late season hunts. I don’t know how people use those 4000 packs for a weeks hunt. I guess I suck at packing or they hunt in much warmer weather. In Alaska this year, with food, that 7200 was packed to the brim for 11 days. With warm clothes in Montana, it was packed completely full with 6 days worth of food.

Icon Pro 5200 here. Love it. Suspension system works great to put the load on your hips. Lots of straps, buckles, and attachment points. I recommend them.

I have the Icon Pro 3200 bought in 2014. Overall it is pretty good and still use it. I like the pockets for organizing stuff and it is comfortable with or without a load. It may be how I have it set up but the top yoke comes out of the little pockets at the top of the pack frequently which is annoying and again, probably just me but I find the load shelf difficult to employ.
I also have a MR Metcalf and find myself using that more. Its a little bigger and heavier but is just as comfortable.

i have a icon 1850 pro,,as well as the 5200 bag,,,Ive hauled 100lb elk quarters on it,,carbon fiber frame is impressive,,though it didnt feel good to go uphill with 100lbs,,no pack would feel good uphill w 100lbs.

I have the Icon Pro 3200 bought in 2014. Overall it is pretty good and still use it. I like the pockets for organizing stuff and it is comfortable with or without a load. It may be how I have it set up but the top yoke comes out of the little pockets at the top of the pack frequently which is annoying and again, probably just me but I find the load shelf difficult to employ.
I also have a MR Metcalf and find myself using that more. Its a little bigger and heavier but is just as comfortable.

If the bag is coming off the top stays of the frame then you most likely don’t have the bottom straps in the right locations on the bag and thus they aren’t cinching down tight.
Post some pics for us to examine and get you setup properly.

If the bag is coming off the top stays of the frame then you most likely don’t have the bottom straps in the right locations on the bag and thus they aren’t cinching down tight.
Post some pics for us to examine and get you setup properly.

Pic of the bottom of my pack. I fiddled about with the shoulder straps last year and think I got it fixed, at least the yoke hasn't slipped out since. I think I had the bag too loose on the frame. Thanks for the offer to help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 9
The hard part is finding stores that carry them. Most of these high end packs are only found in specialty stores or on the manufactures website.

If you go to the SG headquarters in Bozeman Pete will load you up with as many sand bags as you can handle.
Becky did that for me in the Bozeman store. It was amazing to feel the difference in the way different pack frames felt on my back and I went with the x curve because the fit was perfect. The exact same weight felt half as heavy when I got the right frame. If at all possible there is no better way than to buy in person. I tried my buddy’s KUIU ultra 6000 on and the straight frame felt like the SG Krux did on my back. The X Curve fits perfect for me though.

I know there was a lot of response to this, but I thought I would share my experience. This year, I go Icon Pro 2300's for myself and my wife. It's the perfect day back that could be pressed into service as a bivy pack if you are used to going ultra light. Kuiu seems to have the most modular frame & suspension design on the market, allowing the swap to a larger expedition pack on your existing frame to be a fairly economical option for different types of hunts (I am aware that other companies do this, but those other companies seem to put a higher price tag on the bag than the frame, making the modular option less appealing).

The pack itself is well thought out, and darn comfy. Sadly, none of my hunts for big game were successful, so I can't comment on the meat hauling ability. My only gripe is the camo pattern for the verde 2.0, it is much darker than it appears on the website, and while it does blend in ok, I don't think it works as well as the other camo pattern they sell.

Back