Kodiak Lodge 12x12 or Cabelas Instinct 8 person?

MThuntr

Got sucked into tents again last night after seeing snow predicted for this weekend. Considering the Kodiak 12x12 Lodge (stove ready) and the Cabelas Instinct 8 Person (stove ready). Both seem to have their advantages. It seems like the canvas tent would be superior for moisture management since synthetic tents seem to sweat. As of today both are available and priced similarly though an extra 10% off via cabelas card and 9% off active junky make the Instinct about $150 cheaper. I like the Kodiak tent's windows especially if considering early season camp

Anyone with experience with either want to chime in?

I have experience with neither, but that Cabela’s tent looks a lot easier to set up than a vertical wall canvas tent.

Kinda piqued my interest on one as well. Buy it an let us know how it goes!

One buddy has the Kodiak and it serves him well. Nothing but good to say about it. We have a Cabelas Alaska Alaknak, I'm guessing it's made out of the same stuff as the instinct and it's been bulletproof through many hunts in multiple states. It doesn't sweat even with buddy heaters and woodstove rollong and windows zipped up.

Man that kodiak lodge looks sweet, if you want a normal big tent I'd say the walmart brand would be about a good as the Cabela's brand, since they were purchased by BPS that place has gone downhill.

Flipped a 300wsm into a new Kodiak 12x12. Stacking points i had and coupons brought it down to around $600 plus I earned $72 in points for the purchase not a bad deal
I was gonna ask if you had Cabelas points to use....

I think when I have a catastrophic failure in my alaknak this will be my next 12x12...

I was gonna ask if you had Cabelas points to use....

I think when I have a catastrophic failure in my alaknak this will be my next 12x12...
Yeah I had like $100 in points. Not necessarily a requirement to spend but helped the bottom line

Got sucked into tents again last night after seeing snow predicted for this weekend. Considering the Kodiak 12x12 Lodge (stove ready) and the Cabelas Instinct 8 Person (stove ready). Both seem to have their advantages. It seems like the canvas tent would be superior for moisture management since synthetic tents seem to sweat. As of today both are available and priced similarly though an extra 10% off via cabelas card and 9% off active junky make the Instinct about $150 cheaper. I like the Kodiak tent's windows especially if considering early season camp

Anyone with experience with either want to chime in?
Bought the Kodiak bow-flex 4 years ago for use in the interior of Alaska have about 80 nights in it and love it. This fall the wind blew 50+ mph as well as a ton of rain, stayed dry and warm. We did install a stove jack for a wood stove. The setup is 10 minutes with 2 guys.

Flipped a 300wsm into a new Kodiak 12x12. Stacking points i had and coupons brought it down to around $600 plus I earned $72 in points for the purchase not a bad deal
Let us know how you like it. A few of us are thinking of going in on that kodiak 12x12

Let us know how you like it. A few of us are thinking of going in on that kodiak 12x12
Will do. Several friends have the older models of the Instinct and it seems they really like them. The mixed reviews of the newer Instinct tents made really bothered me. I know about this time 2 or 3 years ago I wanted one bad but they were temporarily discontinued for shoddy build quality (I know the Alaknak models were recalled too) The second part that helped me was I watched about 800 videos of a guy that put his up to test and it faired vary well in the snow combined with guys saying the many windows help keep it cooler in the summer was another selling point.

Bring it to sheep camp! We’ll compare notes between that tent and my cotton canvas wall tent.

I like my kodiak flex bow 10x14. It's super easy to set up and sturdy in any weather. It even calls in moose ;)
This is a good thread. I’m looking to upgrade from my 7x5 dome tent (love it, but I’m done with kneeling and crawling). I’ve been looking at the Kodiak Flex-Bow 9x8 or 10x10, but can’t find the moose calling edition. 😂

Dig my 14x10 Kodiak. Especially for $400 of FB. Put a stove jack in. Did fine in -13 this past weekend in MT. Even kept the GSP warm.

Attachments

• 20221113_074217.jpg
    20221113_074217.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 37
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back