Know what is beyond your target

I was shooting at the range this summer. Prone and lined up on my 400 yard target, just about to shoot when everything went blurry. WTH! I looked down range and an antelope had walked between me and my target. Of course I waited for it to walk off before shooting. Got to thinking how I would have broken the news to the game warden that I accidently shot an antelope while target shooting. lol

The range at Cameo is frequently visited by BHS who are deaf. Completely deaf. Or fearless. 🤷‍♂️ IDK. Either way, we get to see a lot of sheep.

The range at Cameo is frequently visited by BHS who are deaf. Completely deaf. Or fearless. 🤷‍♂️ IDK. Either way, we get to see a lot of sheep.
CPW transplanted sheep there and then 15 years later decided they would rather have a gun range.

I have (someone else's) video of a few rams standing on the hill behind the targets at the Gypsum gun range while shooting was ongoing.

The ground squirrels at our gun club make a challenge of it. Right in the middle of a bunch of guys shooting, they’ll randomly make a mad dash across the range.

About every other year we have to run antelope off the range in the middle of the NRA Nationals BPCR matches. This one is a nice buck from 2010.

Whitetails, mulies, antelope, and turkeys, not to mention horses and cattle are common problems at rifle matches in the West and Midwest.

DSCN0539.JPG

I have to shoo pronghorn off the 100 yard berm all the time. Visited my dad in VA and had a turkey fly across the skeet range. Luckily the other "bird" had already made its way safely to the ground.

CPW transplanted sheep there and then 15 years later decided they would rather have a gun range.

I have (someone else's) video of a few rams standing on the hill behind the targets at the Gypsum gun range while shooting was ongoing.
The range now has steal all the way out to a 1000 yards all over the hillside to the west of the range buildings. I haven’t seen them in the steal but they have been down at the range for sure. But I’m positive they mill in and around the steal.

Reactions: Oak
I heard from the Rangemaster at public range in California that a guy dropped a beef cow which was standing behind the backstops. With a .22 LR!
As I heard it, the responding officer decided that it could only have been intentional and charged him. He had to pay restitution at full market value for a cow which was buzzard food long before his arraignment.

Unfortunately, in Berks County, PA a 10yr old boy was killed when he was behind a homemade target stand/backstop and a family member took 3 shots with a rifle. All 3 shots struck the boy.

Deer in Townsend will stand 20 ft from a deer/pig/ram shaped gong while people ring it. Just keep feeding like nothings happening.

Unfortunately, in Berks County, PA a 10yr old boy was killed when he was behind a homemade target stand/backstop and a family member took 3 shots with a rifle. All 3 shots struck the boy.
I forgot to mention this was on Thanksgiving Day.

It's like pheasants in the cattails along the railroad right of way. They'll stay there all day while several trains pass with horns blasting away for the crossing. But as soon as my Jimmy approaches the crossing they fly off. Around here the moose will migrate to noisy logging operations. It seems they have somehow figured out hunting is closed in those areas.

Animals get acclimated to specific noises.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back