Knots for hunting

mxracer317

What is your favorite or most used knot for hunting purposes? I want to teach my kids a few and am curious to know which you feel is most practical and when you use it most.

My favorites are Bowline, clove hitch, truckers hitch, tautline...

Bowline, bowline, and other variations of the bowline.

I use about 10 different knots on a daily basis. The bowline is by far the most versatile. Just learn how to tie it multiple ways.

The alpine butterfly is my other top knot.

The other knots are all specialized for moving along rope.

Clove hitch and munther I blew my d loop up in camp Sunday before killing my bull and fixed it with 2 clove hitches got laughed at by the guy at the archery shop but told him it worked great out to 60. The munther is a burn knot that works great for letting quarters down out of trees and various other things. The bow line is slaps a great knot but was already mentioned

Never underestimate the usefulness of a half hitch or 2. Bowline is definitely the king of knots. Tautline, truckers hitch and bank robbers knot all have their place too as well as the simple prusik.

Bowline
Prussick
Knotless truckers hitch
Taut line hitch
sheet bend
Alpine butterfly

I take a loop in a rope and tie an overhand knot with it and make a loop.

Not sure what it's truly called but I use the living crap out of that knot. An overhand loop I guess now that I look it up the name.

My wife has watched me tie one so many times that she even uses one now. lol We use it to hang game bags and fix ratchet straps and anything else that needs a loop. Once its cinched down, it isn't coming undone. Thats fine with me.

Last edited:
I take a loop in a rope and tie an overhand knot with it and make a loop.

Not sure what it's truly called but I use the living crap out of that knot. An overhand loop I guess now that I look it up the name.

My wife has watched me tie one so many times that she even uses one now. lol We use it to hang game bags and fix ratchet straps and anything else that needs a loop. Once its cinched down, it isn't coming undone. Thats fine with me.
Learn to tie an alpine butterfly. Same loop but you can untie it if you want to at some point.

My favorites are Bowline, clove hitch, truckers hitch, tautline...
Only things I would add are the Canadian jam knot, figure 8 follow through, prussic, sheet bend,how to butterfly coil rope, and (maybe not all are knots) PCT bear hang. Square lashes and tripod lashes are handy too.

I think it’s important to show knots in the context of their application too.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back