Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Knifes..What do you use?

I carry a leatherman wave and two other knives. I prefer soft steel over real hard. Much easier to touch up in the field. Never leave camp without crocksticks either. I bet those cabelas outfitter knives are pretty good.

I carry a Gerber gaitor and Gerber skinning knife. Along with a little yellow crock stick its all I need for a elk.

I carry a Buck 110 and also a Buck fixed blade just for back up.

Knife of choice is a Buck 105 (5-inch fixed blade), and a 110 for back-up.

When I bought my son his first hunting knife the stores weren't carrying the 105 any more so I had to choose between the Gerber and Kershaw basic 4", lock-back, folders. The Gerber was a piece of junk compared to the Kershaw.

I normally use a combination of a CRKT 30-30, a sturdy fixed blade old timer, and a leatherman. I used the Havalon on my antelope this year though, and after getting one for Christmas I think that'll get a lot of the work.

I just bought a Havalon Piranta. It seems like a good knife, sharp interchangeable blades. The blade is a little thin, but a good shape. That's not a problem for its intended use. I have two reservations about it. It's a folding knife and they are not as easy to clean as fixed blade knives. Unless I figure out a different way to change blades, I'll have to be sure that I carry a multi-tool, which I do anyway. The curious thing to me is that I had never heard of them until I read this thread. There are quite a few things that I have first read about here that seem to be in fairly common use by some of the members. I would rather hear about the pro's and con's of things here than have to find out firsthand in the wilderness. Thanks for helping me learn something new.

The changing of the blades is tough when they are new but mine has gotten easier over some use.

To me cleaning it is really easy. Pop the blade off and soak for a touch. The handle is open to also help clean.

The only neg I found was learning the hard way the the blade do break. Just make sure to have extra blades. Other than that it's a great knife. Seems like I use a blade per side on quartering and de-boning deer and antelope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back