Knife confessions

Confession: I’ve found way more knives than I’ve bought. I don’t even know how many are in my knife box anymore, 50? For a while I was averaging a couple a year it seemed like. I can only think of two I have lost

I’m not a great sharpener either, I struggle with a lansky while my dad can get a knife nasty sharp with one. I typically resort to a worksharp, accusharp, or send back to the factory

I’ve lost too many to count and remember. I’ve moved to knives that are hard to lose. Clips? Hell no! They disappear on me. I’ve moved to sheaths, specific pockets in my pack, and loooong orange lanyards.

My wonderful wife got me a Benchmade for Christmas and it has orange highlights. I even put orange parachord through the sheath rivets. Terrible admission, I tend to not lose more expensive and/or meaningful items…. It doesn’t feel conscious. It will be shipped each year for sharpening.

I’m pondering a worksharp sharpener…

My knife confessions are I own a bunch of Bucks and Case’s but seem to use the replaceable blade Gerber that RMEF sent me more for hunting and I have a $550 Randall on order that I will get in January 2026. ( bucket list knife for me )

I have lost several pocketknives over the years but never a hunting knife. I found one of those pocketknives last summer when I was rototilling my back yard for a new lawn. On the other hand, I have found probably 25 to 30 knives in the woods. Mostly junk but a few really nice ones. A friend of mine told me he searches for knives around every gut pile he sees in the woods and has found quite a few that way.

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I have a Lansky and don't care for it. My knives just don't seem to turn out quite right with it.

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I have a Lansky and don't care for it. My knives just don't seem to turn out quite right with it.
I should qualify my original post. I did not start getting razor sharp edges until I purchased a Lansky Diamond Stone. My Lansky kit did not come with one. If you don't have one it may be worth the 20 bucks to try it out before throwing in the towel on it.

I rarely carry a sharpener in the field. I usually use a havalon type knife w/ spare blades but always have one extra high quality sharp, real knife. Usually put the initial edge on with a lanskey then finish/maintain m with a good Diamond rod. Got this for Christmas & just used it. Really a great sharpener..65702640-CC8C-448D-956A-7C9B0DCD6547.jpeg

Last edited:
I was lucky to learn at the knee. He gave me a Diamond Rod at like age 9. He provided some basic instruction and demonstration, and then he would, at random times, demand to see my knife. It had to be sharp. He'd look at it, test it, and give me some more direction. He wasn't a soft teacher, but effective.
I have these stones everywhere. Desk drawer, kitchen drawer, hiking packs, hunting packs, center console of the truck, even my in-laws kitchen drawer.

View attachment 208093
I have used one for years. Works great, easy to touch up the blade. I have given away several to family members and hunting partners as gifts.

I’ve never own a knife that I thought any better as a throw away since I can’t sharpen a knife. I was so glad when they started making disposal blades

Attachments

• 65D12E92-122C-4162-835D-2712B6D8C71B.jpeg
    65D12E92-122C-4162-835D-2712B6D8C71B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back