Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Killing REALLY Big Deer!

D

Deerslayer

...........ok,........we got the old juices flowin', so let's pour it on........

I turn the TV on ESPN two mornings in a row about 7am......HEY!...A huntin show! Whoopee!!

.........so I see Jay Novacek and some big ol" fella, famous Fisherman guy......and they drive there chevy up to a blind in beautiful northern Mexico......ahhhhh, big bucks across the RIO! Yahoo!!!!!!

So Navacek asks the guy,."Are you excited?".......the guy replies,"Oh yea!........I have a feeling I'm going to kill the biggest deer I have ever taken here"......so they say, well pancho is going to show is where to get, and sure nuff, after only 10 minutes on stand, the biggest buck fatty had ever taken rolls out at 100 yards, broad side, and he says ....."if he'd only give me a shot"......."please, just a little closer"....."yep, I think I can take him"......KABOOMMMMMM!!!!!!! WHOOOPEEEEE!!!
"What a shot, I got him, my biggest deer ever!"..........and let me tell you, it was an impressive buck, as was the buck Novacek got.........and novacek is headin' to another ranch next week I hear......another Bruiser goin' down for sure.........so what;s the problem?

.....well, I enjoy like heck seeing those big deer, .....but when Bill Jordan or Jackie Bushman or Jay Novacek or one of these other guys go to the King Ranch with some Bubba, and slay some big ass critters.......I just have this idea that something was lacking in the "hunt". I mean, couldn't my 12 year old daughter have been sitting in that tripod and killed that bruiser buck........or even my grandma?........I think of this type of shooting as shopping, not hunting..........I mean, those guys had never seen the property, never even looked around when they got there, but rather took a seat in the old tripod they were instructed to go to and wait......nothing wrong with it, but show me a video of a high mountain hunt.......or busting the brush on open land searching for a stand site........not gonna happen,........wouldn't be as productive with enough big kill scenes.......its good viewing, but it ain't huntin'...... ;)

So what's your take on it?......and why do I feel like a big Texan is fixin' to wack me here? :eek:
DS

That's why I don't bother to watch hunting shows or videos anymore. I still have an old tape of Ben Rogers Lee where the bucks killed on the tape are about the same class as what most everybody gets around here. It is the only deer hunting video I have kept, gave all the others away. The shows now days are just entertainment for people who like to see a big buck go down. There is nothing instructional about them nor is there any kind of useful information in them other than advertisements. I think they give young hunters unrealistic expectations, most hunters will never see a buck like that in their lifetime. What really gets me about these shows is that they really are nothing but infomercials peddling somebody's product or ranch when you get down to it.

DeerSlayer.... WHACK!! :D You're trying to make trouble here too?! Shame! Shame! Trash-talking another guys hunting methods - not nice.... if'n you don't care for it, don't do it, but at least don't critisize the guy for using his method - and shut your TV off. Yes, I'm sure that stalking that 30" mulie on a frosty morning inhaling the scent of crushed sagebrush while having the mountains west of you lit by the rising sun is something we'd all enjoy, don't knock the other guys way of doing things.... come on, we need to stick together as hunters.

Well, I do believe that hunters need to stick together. That may not be that way I want it, but I think it is reality. There just aren't enough of us if we start dividing ourselves up. I don't really think of it as hunting...but the only place I draw the line (especially in conversation with non-hunters) is when they release a big cat from a cage and the guy is standing 40 feet away to blast some poor kitty that was born in a zoo. Even a high fence hunt on a large piece of ground is more like hunting than that!

I did see one hunting show where the guy's 75-year old mother shot a nice buck from a blind at 50 yards with her old Savage Model 99. It was the first deer she had taken in almost 20 years, and it sure made her happy to think about eating venison "taken by her own hand" again.

Actually Raven........I was just trying to bait you into a couple of more posts so you could lose the word "junior" by you member name! :D .....one more post and your there! ;)

no........my point is, I've watched videos where they rattle the bucket and take a huge Bull on a ranch who obviously had seen more than one feed bucket in his day......he gazes at the farmer and the hunter as they "stalk" righ up to him within 75 yards and take him with black powder, the bull watching them come right to him the whole way......poor fella thought it was feed time :rolleyes: .

I've seen Novacek loft arrows at a bull at a watering whole on a ranch where the old bull just moves over a few steps and goes back to watering .......waiting for the next arrow :eek: ..............does this ever happen to anyone in the wild???????........I'm just saying it would be refreshing to see a video of a guy hunting.......not over a feeder.........not on a "pet ranch"............but something like the situations most of us would find ourselves in.......and why couldn't they make good videos like that?...........seems they could in the bugle, or during the ruts for big bulls and muleys........but it would be too much trouble and not cost effective......much easier to drive to the ranch or farm.........shoot some big ass critters and be back in town a little after dark.........on to the next ranch for next weeks video!

10scn hit the nail on the head about not learning a damn thing from 'em.............when's the last time you saw one and said man, I'll have to try that!............you use to could say that......been a long time since I've seen any good information come from the Buckmaster or the like.........he's about as big a joke as there is in the hunting world.
That stupid puppet on there could probably out hunt him! :D

Why don't I turn it off you ask?........man, I go crazy everytime I see horns!!!!!I can't get enough! They show some fine critters, I enjoy the look.......but it may as well be a spazz sitting in the chair doing the shooting........anybody can pull a trigger.......I think :rolleyes:
DS

I agree any door knob and can hunt the way those guys do. Ever notice practically every deer they shoot runs, yet when they show the kids there deer go straight down now what's that tell you who the better shot is. love to see them have to hunt the Rockies on their own or come to Arizona and hunt are little white tail Arizona deer don't know what a trail is. Not much of hunt when you sit on food plots.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back