Kifaru tipi

fargoflyfish

This tipi seems like it is a great option for backcountry hunting. It seems like an even better option when you add in a stove. However, the price tag for the tipi and stove is near $1000.
Anybody have any cheaper alternatives that aren't junk, but you can still have the option of a stove?

Yes, the kifaru shelters are not cheap but after a little use you will realize they are worth the money. I have used the 8 man tipi for many years with a lot of use and it has held up great. Add a stove and you will be more than comfortable. I also have a kifaru supertarp and sawtooth shelter. All three shelters have seen a lot of use. Kifaru offer several shelters and sizes. You just need to determine which shleter/size size will best fit your needs.

I have not used a seek out side shelter but I have heard good things.

I have heard of guys sewing in a stove jack to other tipi styles.

GoLite is one of the brands. But they've recently went tits up. You might be able to find a closeout or something on ebay.

FYI Go Lite went bankrupt so finding a new Shangri La will be challenging.

I'd look at Seek Outside...they are running some daily specials on certain products right now. I also have heard they are redesigning their titanium camp stoves.

TI Goat also offers a tipi style tent and I've seen stoves placed in those. They're spendy as well.

Interesting about Go Lite going bankrupt. They sold a ton of Shangri-La tents in the past couple years so you can probably find some used if you scour various forums. I have the Shangri-La 5 and have been happy with it (I don't plan on modifying it for a stove jack though).

Alternatives

I've got a GoLite SL-5 that I modified by putting a stove boot in, I have a medium Kifaru box stove that works great in it. I sewed it in with a Speedy Stitcher and used braided fishing line and seam sealed it with GE Silicone and mineral spirits mixed 50/50.

This is roomy enough for 2 people & gear with the stove, I've used it in February at 10,000' here in Colorado, cozy as can be pitched on 4' of snow.

TiGoat is another place to look for Tipis, I've also got their Vertex 8, slept in that last Friday night in SW Nebraska on a pheasant hunting trip. It got down into the single digits with wind close to 30 mph. This tent & pole weighs 6 lbs with stakes, the Kifaru medium stove also weighs 6lbs. TiGoat also sells stoves, stove pipes, dampers, and the stove boot that I sewed into my GoLite.

Other options are Black Diamond Megamids. (if you can find them, they're mountaineering tents, heavier than the GoLite, but bullet proof, they show up on eBay) Also, Patrick (the founder of Kifaru) also founded Mountainsmith, and he had a floorless tipi from Mountainsmith too, a lot like the Kifaru Sawtooth, but smaller. I found them at Backcountry.com for $116... CHEAP!

Try googling 'tarp tent', you'll see other options that you can sew a $45 stove boot into with a $15 speedy stitcher. With more research, you can find designs to cobble a stove together, but the stovepipe from TiGoat is hard to beat...

TI Goat also offers a tipi style tent and I've seen stoves placed in those. They're spendy as well.

Interesting about Go Lite going bankrupt. They sold a ton of Shangri-La tents in the past couple years so you can probably find some used if you scour various forums. I have the Shangri-La 5 and have been happy with it (I don't plan on modifying it for a stove jack though).

The TiGoat boot has a cover that can be used if you don't use the stove. Very worthwhile mod, and it was the first time I'd ever done any gear mods ever.

Here's a video from February in my SL-5...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpYb-sRbpS8

I bought a penta mid tent / stove package from ruta locura (run by the son of the guy who started Ti-Goat ) in August and have used it 12 nights this fall. I love it and the whole package was only $650. The whole family spent a wet snowy weekend in it and stayed warm dry and happy.

I bought a penta mid tent / stove package from ruta locura (run by the son of the guy who started Ti-Goat ) in August and have used it 12 nights this fall. I love it and the whole package was only $650. The whole family spent a wet snowy weekend in it and stayed warm dry and happy.

I hadn't looked at Ruta Locura, but I have a good friend who just bought one and a wifi stove, looks like a goodie!

Back