Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Kids rifle conundrum....

aj427ci

Ok trying to decide on a rifle for my twelve year old daughter. It will be her first year hunting this year. I’m not concerned about what cartridge at this point just trying to find a rifle to fit her short stature. After going through our rifles at home it seems she is most comfortable with a length of pull around 11-11 1/2 inches. I can’t find a factory rifle even close to that. So do I cut a stock down to fit her this year or possibly an ar-15 with a adjustable stock? I want the rifle to grow with her. What have you more experienced parents done for your young hunters?

Three options I can think of, and you've named two of them. Might also look into a boyds stock, I think you can order any length of pull you wish. If you're not carrying far, the ar platform is a good call, you could also use the same rifle, same trigger pull, and have her practice with inexpensive 223, swap out the upper for a more appropriate caliber for game. Like legos, for grownups.

There are a handful of youth rifles out there. Consider getting one that has other stocks available so when she grows older she can still hunt with it. There are hundreds of different stocks for Remington 700s but only a few for Savage rifles so I'd start with a Remington.

Brownells sells stock spacers in 1/4” increments up to 1”. If you cut down one of your stocks, you could install spacers as she needs a longer length of pull. Not the most asthetically pleasing option, but it’s affordable. I’ve put spacers on a couple stocks as I like a longer than normal LOP.

Buy a rifle and have the stock cut down to fit her. As she grow's, into it, get her a replacement stock cut to the right length for her. This is not rocket science!

CVA makes a nice little break barrel .243 and 7mm08 youth rifle that is less than $300. It weighs about 5.5 lbs and would make a great tree rifle after your kid grows out of it. I think you can find additional barrels for it as well, 20ga., .22lr.

Last edited:
My son is only 7 and he shoots both my AR style rifles and a rem 700 youth model in 243. He killed his first whitetail with the AR and another with the 243 this year. I believe mossberg also makes a bolt action with a 12 inch LOP.

I bought my string-bean daughter a Browning Abolt 3. She can shoulder it well and it shoots great. Trigger isn't adjustable like the savage, but its pretty good for a young hunter. Savage also has shorter stocks in the axis line and model 11? line.

AR with adjustable stock will do fine until is older and maybe wants a bigger broomstick. Then can get a LOP that is stable. I find in winter the layers of clothing changes LOP anyway so as a hunter is always a bit of compromise with a fixed LOP. The adjustable stock can be tweaked back and forth a 1/2" depending on clothing.

My daughter did her first hunt at 12 with my Ruger 77 UL in 243, then for her 13th birthday we got her the same rifle (Ruger 77 UL) but in a 270. She is deadly with it on deer, antelope, elk, and even a bighorn. it's a great size for her, plus fairly lightweight. She is about 5' 6" and 130# now as a reference. Don't know if Ruger still makes that rifle, but it might be worth checking out.

I bought savage axis in .243 with youth stocks for my two youngest. They fit well, even my small frame daughter from the age of 10 and shoot quite well.

I think an AR in 223/5.56 (with the right bullets) or 6.8mm works great on whitetail at under 100 yards. My 9 year old daughter has used both on several deer over the last three years.

We have been talking about taking her after elk sometime in the next couple years, so I am looking for something with a little more oomph. At this point, I think the Tikka T3x Compact in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 is what she will wind up with. Even at 12.5”, that stock is a little long for her right now, but she says she likes the ones she has handled.

I had fleeting thoughts of getting her a Tikka CTR and putting it in a chassis with an adjustable length of pull but I am sure that it would be too heavy for her to carry or to shoot offhand. I guess I could always use it until she grows into it 🙂

About the lowest LOP I know of is the model 7 compact at 12 3/8". Not much shorter then a tc compact, ruger American compact etc. I don't think anything in this class will be that awkward for her the first year or two. Will be grown into and beyond quicker than you know it. Custom is about your only choice to get exactly what you want, either start big a buy a short stock (what I would prob do) or start short and buy a longer stock later on...

Back