Kids rifle conundrum....

I’d buy a M700 youth rifle. If you need to shorten the stock more for her it’s not to hard. When she outgrows it there are many options for a new stock to fit her readily available. I’d go with a 260rem or 7-08 if elk are to be hunted. If only deer I’d go with the 243win.

If you have an AR use that. Its not worth getting a whole new rifle that you'll be tweaking because she will grow out of it before you know it. Just get an AR in a 6.5 grendal, 6.8, 300 blackout, etc. and have her use that for a few years. Once she gets older then I would look at getting her a specific bolt gun in her choice of caliber. Personally if you're hunting whitetail under 200 yards I would get a 300 blackout upper. You literally can use the same bolt, mags, everything. It would make your life very simple and easy. This is what my brother-in-law has done with his kids. They used a AR in 6.5 grendal until they were big enough to handle a bigger bolt gun. My experience with youth rifles too is that any of them bigger caliber than a 243 or 6.5 kick like a mule too. So most likely even with a bolt gun you'd be replacing it again if hunting anything bigger than whitetail/antelope.

We will be hunting mule deer and possibly elk this year. I found a rem 700 in 7mm-08 that I think I’m going to pick up and cut it down to fit.

i had a similar situation with my kiddo, hes 7 and can hunt with me in Wisco and i went the chassis route with an AR style stock so it can grow with him, it is a little heavier but stand hunting ill be doing the carrying of the rifle for him.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back