KHunter AZ Kaibab bison

Its strange how a hunt can be so weather dependent for an animal so weather resistant. Every time it snowed on the early hunt things would come to a complete halt for 3-5 days. Tough hunt for sure but sounds like you put in a monumental effort.

Just in case anyone else is looking to hunt bison on the Kaibab. The driest period is typically the last 2-3 weeks of May and most of June.

That’s a rough one. I wonder if the herd reduction that the park itself did this fall had an impact.

Last edited:
Great getting to know you as well @Khunter...we certainly were some of the most stubborn hunters on the Kaibab during that hunt.

and your to blame for reigniting my passion to bow hunt exclusively next season.

@NVDesertHunter brought some homemde hooch to a dinner we had with a couple that both had tags

View attachment 200943

@NVDesertHunter. on a da we did a lot of still hunting trying to conjure up bison.
View attachment 200944

Me and @NVDesertHunter sharing a blind in a spot where tleast some bison had frequented (at night)

View attachment 200946

View attachment 200947

The whole of the hunt consists of trying to catch bison wandering outside the Grand Canyon National Park into the Kaibab Nat Forest. The bison livein the Park so it is a crap shoot at best. ost hunters get skunked on average. I hoped to beat the average but did not.
View attachment 200948

View attachment 200949

View attachment 200950

View attachment 200951

View attachment 200952

View attachment 200953

View attachment 200955

View attachment 200963

View attachment 200962View attachment 200965

View attachment 200966

View attachment 200967

View attachment 200968View attachment 200969
Man seeing those pics gets me excited! And that is a stud muley as well. Is this your personal camera or an outfitters?

Its strange how a hunt can be so weather dependent for an animal so weather resistant. Every time it snowed on the early hunt things would come to a complete halt for 3-5 days. Tough hunt for sure but sounds like you put in a monumental effort.

Just in case anyone else is looking to hunt bison on the Kaibab. The driest period is typically the last 2-3 weeks of May and most of June.
I have the June hunt. I hope it pans out. Would you say being that is the driest period, it is the best hunting?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back