Yeti GOBOX Collection

kentucky toms!!!

DKO

just back form the opening weekend in kentucky and we will have our first entries into the turkey contest!!! J.IV and myself both got our birds!

saturday morning had Jay and i hunting together as always and since i shot the last bird we huntesd together, he was up for the first shot on this hunt!and i was calling. We roosted a nice gobbler on fri. evening and headed in for him on sat. A.M. he was roosted real close to a road which worried me cause our side was woods and the other side of the road was an alfalfa field! and i knew it was being hunted and as we thought might happen he flew down on the other side and was killed rather quickly! after hearing the shot and no longer hearing him we decided to try to locate another bird.We walked two hundred yards across a field and got on the edge of another patch of woods and i started callin softly, gobble gobble gobble! he blew up from the bottom about 150 yrds below us in a hardwood bottom.I knew he was hot so we quickly set-up and started calling again, he responded every time, 40 mins. later and listening to him gobble a thousand times he was comming in, about that time i hear J.IV wisper softly i see him!!! then the bird stepped behing a huge tree allowing J.IV to swing around a bit as soon as he cleard, i saw him over Jays shoulder and watched him shoot! great shot! one dead bird!

my bird wasnt quite as exciting but we went back to the truck and took some photos and a few high fives and we were back after them again! we went to the same general area about 1/4 mile from where we killed jays bird and i started callin again! nothing no reponse at all, when we decided to move, i saw a gobbler go running off through the woods he was comming, just silent :( :( screwed up! well i decided to try to head the bird off and get in front of him so we got out of the woods and were moving pretty quickly along the edge of the woods when he popped right out in front of us in a small thicket and well, those bright red heads are quite the target! i dispatched him as he was trying to get away from us!
not the most enjoyable way to hunt them but it was effective!

both birds were easterns and taken in western kentucky!

J.IV's was our best bird of the weekend it weighed in at 22lbs, the beard was 10 5/8 inches long and had 1 1/4 in spurs!

DKO's bird was the smallest of the weekend :( and weighed in at 20lbs, the beard was 9 1/2 inches long and had 1 1/8 in spurs!

three other birds were killed all 22lbs-23lbs with 10-12 1/2 inch beards! a young hunter thats been hunting turkies for 6 yrs got his first bird, a beautiful 23lb bird with 1 1/2inch spurs and a huge 12 1/2inch beard !!!!!

pictures are being developed now and i will post them in a few days!!!!! J.IV and I will not be able to hunt anymore turkies this year so these will be our official hunttalk turkey contest entries for 2001.

I wish the rest of you good luck and hope you get your birds!!!!

[ 19 April 2001: Message edited by: DKO ]

Great birds guys. Looks like J.IV is winning the contest with 13 1/8". Correct me if I am wrong. DKO, yours scores 11 3/4", not too shabby! I know Chambo has a bird on the ground but, it looks like he is waiting to enter it.
I would settle for a jake right now... :D

Thanks for sharing the stories!

Boomer

DKO.... This Section Been Sleepy for ya :D :D

Sorry For the Late Congrats..... But Better later then Never... :cool:

This is the bird that i called in for J.IV in kentucky ,22 lbs beard 10 5/8in and 1 1/4 in spurs.He took the pictures of the rest of our birds so i will have to post those later!

fe85265e.jpg.orig.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back