Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400???

Just for a little side by side, I bought a pair of Meindl Perfekts this season and my Mule Deer hunting buddy bought the Kenetreks. Mine are a size 13 so I get the 1 inch rand as well as a little different sole than what is up on the Cabelas website. I feel like they are comparable, but a step below the Kenetreks.

My buddy didn't complain of any leaking, but did complain of a couple hotspots. Like others have said that may more or less be a foot issue rather than an issue with the boot.

I would recommend either boot, but if my budget had been a bit higher last fall I would have gone with the Kenetreks.

I'm with you, Lawnboy. I've had multiple brands of boots with waterproof membrane issues. This last pair failed before the boots were really even broken in well. I decided to try using goretex socks this last winter and have been pleased with the results, so far. It took some getting used to because they are quite bulky and my sock layering strategy had to be modified. I guess that I figured that I could enhance the life of the boot fairly economically. Have any of you used the gore tex socks and what was your evaluation?

I. Have any of you used the gore tex socks and what was your evaluation?

I've had 3 pair that I got from Cabelas. Like you mentioned they took some getting used too. I wasn't using them for hunting but just using them on my normal running type shoes. I mow lawns and the early morning dew and rain in the spring kill your feet when they are constantly wet. I can't find them on Cabelas anymore or I would buy another pair. I thought they worked great.

Well my wife's gonna kill me. A couple weeks ago I bought a pair of Danner's. So far I have not been very pleased with them. Then Sierra Trading Post had to come up with that unbelievable sale on Kenetrek boots, the very model I was wanting to buy. I bought a pair yesterday. Now I hope they are as good as they are supposed to be as I might be spending a lot of unplanned time outside once my wife finds out. ;)

What do you mean? Your wife lets you go by new coyote guns on a whim! I would think a pair of new
boots would be pocket change. LOL

GFHunter, the coyote gun was a year-long whim, not exactly an out of the blue decision. Not sure this boot thing is gonna fly as well. Oh well, better to ask for forgiveness sometimes rather than permission.

Big Sky, I ordered a pair from Sierra and recieved them yesterday. I'm very impressed, the fit is much better than my Danners and the construction seems bulletproof. I never thought I'd own a pair but at that price I couldn't pass them up. I'm working OT this week to pay for them so I got a pass from the wife! Kenetrecks web page says the break in period is 50 miles, so we better get on it.

all, with the assistance of folks on this forum and others i have decided and recently purchased a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes 400 for my Wife and I both, love them so far, amazing fit right out of the box and the support is great. my question is in regards to the wax water proofing compound Kenetrek sells, can you also use this on the small canvas portion by the ankle and the upper (suede type of material) portion of the boot, colored Green on Mine and a purple on the wifes? Thanks for the input.

CabinFever, thank you for the fast reply. do you see any concerns on the canvas portion on the ankle recieving the same treatment? only cautious do to the investment i have in these boots now. :)

Though they aren't the Mtn Extreme's, camofire.com is running a pretty sweet deal on Kenetrek boots + gaiters today! Same waterproof memebrane and 400gr insulation on what appears to be a newer model, slightly less heavy duty boot. But the price is pretty good!

www.camofire.com

I have a pair of the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme's and have used them for 3 years. They are a great boot, but mine are not quite as waterproof/resistant as they probably should be and never were. I'd still buy another pair though.

This Spring I picked up some new hiking boots and decided to try Lowa's (Rangers). The fit is much different, but the sole for traction disappoints. Almost rang my bell hard several times so I wouldn't use these under heavy loads or slippery conditions (wet, snowy, etc). Good trail boot though. My experience is that these are more waterproof then my Kenetrek's and fit better.

Thank you everyone for the quick resposne and great information, looking forward to putting these boots to the test this fall, many great hunts planned. Good luck everyone.

Back