Kenetrek boots

Sodakrep

Hey guys, just got me some mountain extreme 400s. I am in the process of trying to break them in. I have fought issues with plantar fasciaits in the past and feel like I might need some added support in these.boots. My question to you is, should I just try to break them in some more and maybe they will loosen up or start trying different insoles?

Thank you all for your time.

The soles of mine have one full season on them and I have not found the soles to any less stiff, which makes them very nice for side hilling. The leather uppers have broke in nicely and are quite comfortable. There are quite a few guys running orthopedic inserts in them as well. It’s what ever you find most comfortable for yourself.

Sodakrep, you don't say if you have any special insoles now for your heel spurs. I have had the same arch problems too, and would suggest to put your best insoles in the boots before you start wearing them. I have been using the "Heelthatpain.com" full length heel seats for several years now. They work really well. Look for the special on their website where you buy 1 pair, get the second pair 1/2 off (2 pair about $50). They offer free shipping too.

Last edited:
I've been looking at a new boot purchase for a while now. I really want to try before I buy, and the Crispi Hunter GTX and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme are two I can find locally. The Zamberlan 980 GTX is another. I haven't had time to do the test fits yet. All the info on Kenetreks and requiring different or special insoles, not to mention the break in have me thinking the Kenetrek isn't an option. Still going to try them, but reviews are all over the place. mtmuley

you can try superfeet. I opted not to go with kennetrek because of my own PF. I don't think you can break in that particular "area" of the boot.

I have come to the conclusion in this day and age that if you find the right boot for your foot there is no break in. They just fit right right out of the gate. I won’t consider a boot that doesn’t feel great the moment I put it on. I “broke in” my last two pair of boots on hunts with no issues. Maybe I just lucked out with agreeable feet.

Custom orthotics may be the answer for you. Theyre expensive but are really nice. I haven't used them for my hunting boots but wouldn't ski without them. Worth taking a look at anyway. Good luck!

I changed my insoles to superfeet orange. Sock combination in any boot is crucial. I run a silk sock liner and rei expedition sock! Your boots will break in mostly likely 30-50 miles. I also use Kenetrek's boot dressing at last twice a year or after every hunt!

Agree with Dexnrex - the "right' boots feel good first time you step outside with them.

Here's my experience and thoughts with Kenetreks. I got a pair at the Kenetrek shop last fall in Bozeman. Good company, good people. The boots are first rate for ruggedness and quality. They are stiff and seem to stay that way. That's good if you like a stiff boot, not so good if you want something more flexible. It's a matter of preference. It's safe to say that Kenetrek's are tough and built to last a long time. Excellent for their purpose. You will read that Kenetrek's require 50 miles of break in. That is true in my experience.

Unfortunately for me, they just don't fit my foot very well. I have always had difficulty fitting boots. My feet are size 12, but long and narrow. The Kenetreks are too loose in the heel and that means they rub and cause blisters. After 20-30 miles of break in I wore them for a week of bird hunting in Kansas last December. Now that they have been "broken in", they still rub and cause blisters. I love the boots, but I'm going to sell them. I just can't wear them without blisters.

There is not a single brand of boot that is the best. It's all about fit. For me that means Scarpa. The first time I slid the old 12's into a pair of Scarpa's I knew they were the "right" boot for me.

Foot beds. I am a big fan of the Lathrop and Sons Synergy foot beds. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

I bought te mountain extreme last year and laid down 50 miles before my AZ Hunt.
They have a well defined heel but the arch is neutral or very close to it.
They are definately overbuilt for most hunting that I will encounter.
They feel like a Wildland Fire Fighter boot and I feel like I am driving an F-350 around the neighborhood.
However from a safety standpoint they absolutely protected my feet and my ankles during lots of walking and some minor sidehilling.
I have no doubt these should last me years to come due to their construction but I feel my heel lands 1st due to my "gait" which I don't think any insole will change.
My ...Merrel hikers would have been much more comfortable for the hunt I spent in the Kaibab.
However.........in the dark heading up the hills I walked through many prickly sharp plants that would have had me bleeding in the dark.

My daughter runs Cross Country and her geometry required insoles with a correction of almost 5MM on her left side ( this is called long /limb whatever ).
My point is that when properly fitted measured by a sports podiatrist her hip pain and back pain wer completely relieved.

I must say that the Kenetrek sizing chart was near perfect since there was not a Kenetrek dealer East of the Mississippi that carried any stock to try on boots.

BTW.....to any Veteran's reading this post.
Kenetrek gave me 25% off on any boots with proof of service......... = I bought a pair for my hunting partner also.

10Dogs

Broken, my son has a pair of Scrapa's size 12 I believe. IMG_2712.jpgIMG_2713.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_2716.jpg maybe have 30-40 miles trying to break in, never hunted them. His foot is just the opposite of yours wide. He bought them at KUIU in 2017. Pm me if your interested and I'll see what he wants for them.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back