Kenetrek boot problem / pain

Bullshot

Anybody have an idea for solving this problem I am having with my Mountain Guides? It’s affecting me only my left boot, but where it flexes at the ankle, there seems to be a hard internal heel cup as part of the construction. The edge of this cup seems to angle inward toward my ankle bone (the protruding bone on side) and is like a hard edge that my ankle then leans over if I lean to the left. Rubbing isn’t the word - on long hike or side slope its like leaning over a knife edge! Bad boot? Bad design? Bad foot? Need different brand? Or can this be fixed somehow. Can’t really afford to experiment with boots this expensive.

C46C5B79-C166-4391-AB61-D43301969179.jpeg27C375EE-B9BC-438E-9E01-4EFBC2703D94.jpeg

Is it just the picture or has the cuff (upper part) collapsed on your left boot? That could potentially push the heel cup edge inward into your ankle. I’d contact Kenetrek directly and get their take on it.

The softer part (high ankle and above) takes a fold over the lower part. yes thats the problem. I have tried bending the lower part out or trying to curve it out (by hand) but it is built tough.

Pic below is where the lower “heel cup” edge lands right below my ankle bone. I don’t think I have weird feet (well maybe everyone’s feet are weird but thats another matter). What I mean is I dont have giant ankle bones or anything.

A67FAE5D-7161-40D9-BCC5-EF33C8C48139.jpeg

Maybe this is a dumb series of questions. Was your foot in the boot when you took the pics? Does it seem worse on slopes, when you sidehill, compared to flat ground or is pain constant while wearing them?

Fruitsnack read my mind given the location

I just checked three of my Kenetreks, they all have a heel support? down there. Some type of bracefor rigidity or?, it wraps around below the ankle bone from one side to the other, exactlywhere you drew that line. ..But none of them are angled in or even in a position to rub skin. I've been wearing Kenetrek boots for many years and would've never have known that piece there if you hadn't posted this thread. Did your boots get ran over or crushed somehow causing that to be broken or bent inward? I'd get in touch with Kenetrek, their customer service has always been top notch for me

Maybe this is a dumb series of questions. Was your foot in the boot when you took the pics? Does it seem worse on slopes, when you sidehill, compared to flat ground or is pain constant while wearing them?

Fruitsnack read my mind given the location
Foot was in boot. Sideslope WAY worse. I did try thicker insoles, it did help a tiny bit but only so much you can stack in there. I think I am asking if boot problems like this can be fixed with tool? heat? some sort of ankle insert/ guard, etc. The problem is the hard heel cup the boot seem built around. I think if they had just a slightly flared edge to the outside it wouldn’t catch on my ankle. Then again, that might just rub more.

I just checked three of my Kenetreks, they all have a heel support? down there. Some type of bracefor rigidity or?, it wraps around below the ankle bone from one side to the other, exactlywhere you drew that line. ..But none of them are angled in or even in a position to rub skin. I've been wearing Kenetrek boots for many years and would've never have known that piece there if you hadn't posted this thread. Did your boots get ran over or crushed somehow causing that to be broken or bent inward? I'd get in touch with Kenetrek, their customer service has always been top notch for me
right, it is a good rigid boot down low, but it just seems on mine it is biased in or broke in that way. Never crushed or broken though, damn thing seems uncrushable and unbreakabke, LOL. Consensus is to reach out to Kenetrek it seems. Unlike many people on here, I don’t have a lot of lifetime luck with manufactureres, warranties, etc (except Mathews bows) but I should just call them.

right, it is a good rigid boot down low, but it just seems on mine it is biased in or broke in that way. Never crushed or broken though, damn thing seems uncrushable and unbreakabke, LOL. Consensus is to reach out to Kenetrek it seems. Unlike many people on here, I don’t have a lot of lifetime luck with manufactureres, warranties, etc (except Mathews bows) but I should just call them.
How old are the boots?

Bought in 2020, lightly broke in then hunted 1 and a half weeks

Hunted 1 week in 2021

Hunted 2 weeks in 2022

Thats it. I don’t use them at home, only out west. After this years hunt, my ankle had basically a scabbed over wound where I drew that line that took a couple weeks to heal. It was small but painful the whole hunt no matter what I tried to prevent it (lot of pressure on small spot still overwhelms padding, socks, moleskin)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back