Ken Onion Works Sharp

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My wife wanted all of the knives sharpened, so Santa came a little early. I've used a Lanksy set for years on my knives. It does a good job, but takes time.

The big brown truck came yesterday, so last night I broke open the package and went to work. WOW! I did the whole set of kitchen knives in about 20 minutes.

I went downstairs and got the Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf. This thing did two deer and an elk this fall without sharpening, but it needed some attention. The steel on this knife is D2 so it usually takes about 20 minutes or so with the Lansky. 5 minutes (tops) and this thing was SCARY sharp. :eek: Hair was jumping off my arm.

Next up is a big pile of Slick Trick blades.

If you don't have one of these, do yourself a favor and get one. It really is the cat's meow.:)

JLS, can you give the cliff note version re: edge angle guide?

Not quite sure I'm tracking, but it's adjustable from 30 to 15 degrees IIRC. I do all my kitchen knives at 20 degrees, and did the Alpha Wolf at 22.5.

It has five belts with varying coarseness, and an angle guide. You set the speed, run the knife along the guide about 8 times each side, change to next finer belt, repeat. It comes with a stropping belt that puts an amazing mirror finish on the edge.

Just tried to watch the video on the site...even with interrupted play I could tell this system might be the answer for my lifelong inability to properly sharpen knives.What a novel idea to have a guide for each side of the edge.:) My question would be is how do you know what angle is best for a given knife?

Just tried to watch the video on the site...even with interrupted play I could tell this system might be the answer for my lifelong inability to properly sharpen knives.What a novel idea to have a guide for each side of the edge.:) My question would be is how do you know what angle is best for a given knife?

It has a pretty idiot proof guide chart for knife application and recommended edge.

Curious to hear how the belt life holds up....might let you play with this one for awhile before I bite the bullet.Keep us posted and thanks for playing guinea pig.

I got one of these for Christmas a year or so ago.

Guided Field Sharpener

It works very well in the field and has a permanent home in my pack. It's a well thought out tool. 2 diamond stones (coarse, fine) and a leather strop. Has a edge guide at 20 degrees. I've never used the ceramic portion of it.

I have an inverter for my truck. No more manual sharpening.:)

I have been eyeing one of those up for the last year, just haven't wanted to spend the money on something I can do by hand. Thanksgiving week I sat down and sharpened my kitchen knives with a mixture of different methods and when I finished looked at the work sharp again online, still didn't pull the trigger.

So I finally went on amazon and bought on after reading this. I hate dull knives and wish I had more patience and time.

My buddy raves about his. Said after he got his for Christmas last year and sharpened every knife he had, he looked through the house and garage for anything else he could sharpen. Scissors, garden shovel, straight razor.

Sometimes on this site I wish I had a sharper tongue.
I will let someone else win this Darwin award.:D

So far no negative feedback.

I bought one last year and cannot believe how well it works to sharpen kitchen and hunting knives.

In particular, I have a Montana Ruana hunting knife which is difficult to get sharp and the Works Sharp makes it easy.

I butcher and process my own meat, so knife sharpening is important to me.

I have the KO worksharp for about 2 years. If I do it right, the knives are next level sharp. If I'm in a hurry they are still super sharp. I burned up most of my belts and am in the process of finding aftermarket belts because I'm a cheap SOB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back