Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Keep building Wyoming elk points?

If you would've applied in the regular general elk draw last year with 3 points, you would've been about 50% to draw. If you'd bought the point last year and then applied this year with 4 points, you would've drawn for sure. You probably missed your best opportunity to guarantee a tag, but you're still close enough that I'd stay in the game. I'd absolutely buy the point this year and then put in next year.

Pancake said it correctly... ^^^^ You should have bought a point last year, but you can't fix the mistakes of the past. Buy a point this year, and every year until you draw the GEN tag. You are too close to quit now, you should draw sometime over the next 5 or 6 years, if not before.

The Wyoming NR preference point system has a lot of the same elements of a ponzi scheme.

My advice is to cash out ASAP on a general tag.

Burn them now. You'll never catch up and personally, if 90/5/5 happens I will draw a general tag with what I have and give it my best go. Then I will be done with Wyoming.

Reactions: DFS
I am trying to decide if I should keep buying Wyoming elk points, currently I have 3 (would have 4 but decided not to last year) but with tag costs and the possible cap for non residents to 10% is it worth it to keep buying them? I will have 5 points going into next year for deer and antelope. But lower tag costs and I enjoy hunting muleys a lot more and would like a nice antelope at one point.
You might want to start on pronghorn PPs now and plan that hunt in about 5-8 years.

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 elk points and will go into next year with 4. Hoping for a general. If I draw that will likely be my only WY elk tag unless something changes. I imagine I'll buy points until I draw. Should've applied this year but didn't have time to hunt as we're moving out of state end of September.

Back