Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kansas whitetail

Sowhntr

Anyone hunting Kansas this year? If so good luck! Was lucky enough to draw another muzzleloader tag. I was the only one from our group last year. I am one of those guys,”I paid for a lease.” However; I have some nice wiha around me I keep a close eye on. Should be another good year with all the rain.

Yes, I will be there during the bow season. KS is a great whitetail state with great people. I always enjoy my time there.

My group of 3 guys drew rifle tags. I have archery hunted in Kansas twice. My friends landed access to a large farm several years ago. Looking forward to the trip !!

I'm hunting Kansas this year as well, but during archery season. I'll be out there mid to late November in Unit 7.

What unit did you draw a tag for?

Yup I will be out there on my property in November during the rut with the bow. I love Kansas. I actually will be out there in a couple weeks to check cameras, move some stands and visit friends.

Question for you guys. I have never hunted Kansas but it's on my bucket list. Is there any good public land or are you just pissing in the wind. Do any land owners allow trespass fees or would I be better off hiring. An outfitter? Any suggestions on a good outfitter? Bucket list hunt

Question for you guys. I have never hunted Kansas but it's on my bucket list. Is there any good public land or are you just pissing in the wind. Do any land owners allow trespass fees or would I be better off hiring. An outfitter? Any suggestions on a good outfitter? Bucket list hunt

I havent tried gainning access where I hunt yet as I have some access already but all the farmers complain about deer so might let you hunt.

Depends on where you are in Kansas. I just moved here from Wyoming and hunted KS several times as a NR, did well on public during archery season. Wouldn't make the trip during rifle. There's public to hunt, especially walk in. As of now I plan on hunting the same places I hunted as a NR. It's certainly not public in Wyo, but there's some out here.

WBC, there is lots of really good looking wiha. They have a interactive map on Kansas parks and wildlife page. Read each one carefully, some are shot shell and archery only. Some have have animal regulations as well.

I love the little towns. I went to my local feed store and it took me back to when I was a kid. Every truck in town a had a rifle hanging on the back glass with all their windows down. You can’t leave a daisy BB gun hanging now days where I’m from.

So do most of y’all guys hunt out of state? Does that mean you show up and pick a tree, or do you go early for a weekend and do some scouting? I will admit I put up a feeder and take game cam pics on the lease. This I believe a 4.5 year old that I will be after this year. I caught him through the scope as well over a fence on the last weekend. I hope he made it.

Attachments

• 4AF0B00E-C02D-4136-92C3-E3779D4AFCE7.jpeg
    4AF0B00E-C02D-4136-92C3-E3779D4AFCE7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 37CC8371-2571-450D-A1F8-450EFD290C24.jpeg
    37CC8371-2571-450D-A1F8-450EFD290C24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
So do most of y’all guys hunt out of state? Does that mean you show up and pick a tree, or do you go early for a weekend and do some scouting? I will admit I put up a feeder and take game cam pics on the lease. This I believe a 4.5 year old that I will be after this year. I caught him through the scope as well over a fence on the last weekend. I hope he made it.
Will be heading out in a couple of weeks to move some stands, check and reset cameras.

@Wyomingbackcountry
I have hunted in northeast KS 3 times, plenty of good public land its WIHA as noted above. I also was able to get permission on a couple small farms. Don't over look small parcels of WIHA as long as there is good cover and hasn't been hunted hard yet it should hold deer. I seen several good bucks on small 40 acre WIHA parcels.

I'll be hunting there this year, usually just on my dad's property but may try some of the WIHA areas for giggles. Access to private can be hit or miss depending on where you're hunting, in my old stomping grounds a lot of the private gets leased for some pretty big dollar amounts by those from out of state and the KC area. We used to have permission for a lot of land before leases became so prevalent.

How’s thing looking guys? I put up a SPYPOINT cellular this season. Game cams can help you on passing younger game looking for that mature buck or kill the mood when nothing is showing up. Right now small four point and a spike in the last month. There are more mature deer on the property, but not in front of my stand yet.

Im a KS resident I’ve lived here most of my life and for years I’ve hunted a mixture of private and public there is a fair amount of land around all the lakes and wiha but it’s definitely better to archery hunt it’s not near and packed as rifle And definitely isn’t like the western states your never that far from roads so a lot of times you will be set up in your spot or stand and people come walking thru if you plan on hunting KS public land I’d have several back up spots picked out and I learned the hard way use a chain and padlock on your tree stands but I have killed some really nice deer on KS public you can find some productive wiha if you look for it that doesn’t see near as much pressure as the public land

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back