Kansas turkey

reallyoldman

I got an email yesterday from Kansas Game & Fish notifying that the fall turkey season has been cancelled due to a lack of birds. A spring hunt is planned but Non=residents will have to draw a tag. In the area I use to hunt #1 the predators were getting really thick. Foxes, coyotes, skunks possum and raccoons. The email said it was wide spread lack of birds which was impacting surrounding states as well.

One of our commissioners was dead set on killing the fall season. Not many tags sold in the fall compared to spring hunting, so he took that to mean that it was expendable. The regs also allowed for the taking of any turkey, while spring season allows for bearded-only birds.

I believe that we could still have fall hunting and have no overall impact on spring nesting success by simply keeping the shorter fall season adopted a couple of years ago, and only allowing bearded birds to be taken.

And as stated above, starting for spring season 2024, one bird limit statewide, further reductions on SW zone, NR draw with zone specific numbers.

Moving to Kansas early next summer. Hopefully the number rebound some in the spring. Would love to hunt turkey and mule deer.

I got an email yesterday from Kansas Game & Fish notifying that the fall turkey season has been cancelled due to a lack of birds. A spring hunt is planned but Non=residents will have to draw a tag. In the area I use to hunt #1 the predators were getting really thick. Foxes, coyotes, skunks possum and raccoons. The email said it was wide spread lack of birds which was impacting surrounding states as well.
This may just be anecdotal, but I started trapping all the raccoons, opossums, and skunks I could around my house a few years ago and the poult numbers have increased quite a bit. I have 2 hens in my yard every spring and I noticed that they would only have 2-3 poults with them. Since I started trapping everything they've had 10-12 poults with them.

Moving to Kansas early next summer. Hopefully the number rebound some in the spring. Would love to hunt turkey and mule deer.
Number on both of those species are way down in KS, but still plenty of opportunity.

Studies are showing a small percentage of hens produce the majority of the poults. If you have a declining population its only sensible to reduce the mortality on the weakest point which is hen mortality. Fall seasons typically have high hen harvests. I say kudos to them for taking action. Maybe in the future the population will turn around or they will go to a tom only fall season.

Anyone know when the leftovers(if there are any) will go on sale?
I don't see anything on their website other than: "Any leftover non-resident spring turkey permits will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis."

Anyone know when the leftovers(if there are any) will go on sale?
I don't see anything on their website other than: "Any leftover non-resident spring turkey permits will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis."
1709162597253.jpeg

Unit 2 is North Central Kansas

We’ve got leftover non-resident spring turkey permits in Unit 2! Beginning at 10 a.m. CST on March 12, these permits will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis until all permits are purchased.
To Purchase a Leftover Non-resident Turkey Permit
1. Login to customer account on Go Outdoors Kansas
2. On the customer profile, click “Purchase Leftover Permit”
3. Click “Non Resident Spring Turkey Leftovers” then “Next”
5. Select “E-Tag / Mobile or Print” then “Next”
7. Click “Finish & Check out”
8. Go to Cart and Click '”Check out Now”
9. Enter in credit card information and complete transaction.
For more info on turkey hunting in Kansas, visit ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/What-to-Hunt/Turkey.

Reactions: CMF
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back