NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Kansas Ft Riley Elk

Currycm

That call from Pratt, KS on July 12th will be one I will remember for the rest of my life. Congratulations, your name is 1 of 12 we drew for an elk tag. Not only an elk tag, but the once in a lifetime bull opportunity. I’ve scouted several areas and spent 2 weekends muzzleloader hunting so far. I’ve seen signs, but no actual elk so far. The game warden was right, I’ve seen lots of deer and the deer hunters I’ve met have been seeing elk. Anyone have any experience hunting on post and would be willing to share some pointers?

You snagged my tag!! Jealous. Actually I put in for antlerless in December. I'm up to seven points now.

Congratulations on drawing the OIL tag. The nice thing is you have the entire season to fill the tag. I'm happy that you are getting some good Intel from the other hunters. Traditionally they seek the thickest bottoms to get out if the heat. And they are quite good at knowing where the boundaries for no access end as well. Make sure you know where you can and can't be........tank shelling is for reals! (Lived in Manhappiness for Jr High and highschool).

Congrats on drawing the tag and good luck on the hunt. I'm behind kansasdad on points so hopefully I can draw mine a few years after him.

Seen one of the biggest bulls of my life while bow hunting Ft Riley years ago. And that was down on the southern edge of the rifle ranges near the archery/ trap and skeet range. He was also wandering the thick stuff in the ravines. If anything, at least make sure you are glassing in the evenings when the cows come out to feed.

You snagged my tag!! Jealous. Actually I put in for antlerless in December. I'm up to seven points now.

Congratulations on drawing the OIL tag. The nice thing is you have the entire season to fill the tag. I'm happy that you are getting some good Intel from the other hunters. Traditionally they seek the thickest bottoms to get out if the heat. And they are quite good at knowing where the boundaries for no access end as well. Make sure you know where you can and can't be........tank shelling is for reals! (Lived in Manhappiness for Jr High and highschool).

It took me 9 years to draw. Opening day I ran into 4 of the other 11 hunters. One guy said it took him 17 years and another only 2 (his father got a 6x6 in 2017 after putting in for 7 years).

Congrats on drawing the tag and good luck on the hunt. I'm behind kansasdad on points so hopefully I can draw mine a few years after him.

It is definitely luck of the draw. Took me 9 years but I’ve met a guy that got his on the 2nd try and another that waited 17 years.

Maybe one of the helicopter pilots from the base would have an idea where the elk are.
Cool tag. Any idea what the elk population numbers are?

Truly a one in a lifetime elk! Congratulations

I hope you feel up to telling us the whole story soon.

Great job and awesome bull! Hope i’m lucky enough to draw someday. I think i have 6 points now.

Thanks all. I promise I’ll post the story of the best 17 minute hunt of my life later this weekend. In the meantime.....

Got word from my taxidermist today that my elk’s unofficial “green” score is 325 4/8”. Won’t get me in the B&C record books, but should at least qualify for a Kansas Trophy Elk Award. Now to wait 58 more days and get it officially scored.

Back