Yeti GOBOX Collection

Just got back from my bear hunt

220yotekiller

Got back from my bear hunt last night, it was in interesting trip to say the least.
I left Saturday night to be where I wanted to be on opening morning. I got there mid afternoon and set up camp, it was super muddy getting in but made it without having to put it in 4 wheel drive. I scouted around for the best route to the hole I wanted to get to and got back to camp around dark, as I was getting ready to build a fire it started to rain, not a problem, I got my book and sat in the truck waiting it out. It never stopped, in fact it got harder and then turned to snow. I decided that I didn't want to deal with snow plus mud so I pulled out at midnight, got stuck but got out without a ton of problems, didn't have to chain up but it was a toss up, got back to town and crashed till the next morning.
I headed out early and got to my back up area.....It was CRAWLING with people I mean 50 trucks in the parking area. I talked to a game warden and apparently that area opened for shed hunting on bear opener. But he did say that he seen a bear on a elk carcass two days earlier. I thanked him and went to my plan C, an area that I had spent no time in but what did I have to loose? I started up the trail, not a ton of people but enough that when I seen a side trail I took it. I hiked for about a mile and a half, the trail getting worse as I went. It eventually cliffed out in dog hair thick timber. I turned back and got back to the main trail and kept going, about 3.5 miles in, it opened up and I could see a fairly open drainage across a river so I set up to glass, moving a couple of times to see more country. I was tired and dosed off for a hour or two about noon. I felt better after my nap and started glassing. I didn't see anything until 5 PM when cow moose stood up and started grazing. A couple of hours later the country really woke up. I wound up seeing 4 moose (1 bull, 2 cows and yearling) one of the cows was a bald face so that was pretty cool, 8 bull elk, and 7 deer. Not a bad day at all, I got back to my truck well after dark.
The next day I went back to where the warden had seen the bear, I actually ran into him again as I was getting my pack ready, he checked me and then said that he had checked 15 other hunters and no one had seen a bear yet but he told me where the carcass was. I found it without much trouble and set up to watch it. It was a pretty good spot, I could watch the carcass and also glass about 3 miles of burns. It was pretty uneventful, Nothing on the elk but birds, But I did glass up a bighorn ram up in the peaks and on the flats below me there were a couple of antelope and 3 deer showed up about dark as well as some turkeys.
Conclusion I found out a couple of important things the hard way, 1) Starting out on a bear hunt with no conditioning is a huge mistake, the first day I figure that I put on 10 miles and my legs were killing me. 2) My wood stocked 7mm Rem in WAY heavy, I am serously thinking of getting a lighter rifle. It has a 26 inch barrel with a 2 inch muzzle brake, it is not the rifle that you want when you are crawling through brush.
Sorry for the long, uncucessfull post but I figured a from the field report might be helpful.

Sounds like a good learning experience! A lot of my hunts seem to go as you described, gotta be ready to switch gears and change plans as needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back