MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Just another day walleye fishing in canoe country…

What setup are you using?
Running lures, jig, canoe trolling?
Learning how to fish walleye. Seems I randomly catch them while fishing for bass/pike.

Looks like a blast!

Great stuff. Something about "fish on a stringer" pics that appeal to me. Maybe it's the "if you hook 'em, you cook 'em" message I agree with.
No doubt. A lot of my greatest childhood memories are remembered when I look at the old polaroid photos of me and my brother holding up eyes and pike on stringers - some of them where the pike are as tall as I was! Man I sure do miss those days and the way the fisheries were back then. Amazing how we have let those lakes/rivers up there go to crap!

What setup are you using?
Running lures, jig, canoe trolling?
Learning how to fish walleye. Seems I randomly catch them while fishing for bass/pike.

Looks like a blast!
In the summer I do a lot of slip bobber fishing. Light line, tiny hooks and jumbo leeches. Most of the structure I fish is 8-14’. It’s not the best way to catch numbers but works well for bigger fish on the lakes that I fish. Plus I find bobber fishing more fun than trolling lindy rigs or crawler harnesses. Around mid August I will start trolling large crank baits over deeper structure, 15-25’.

In the summer I do a lot of slip bobber fishing. Light line, tiny hooks and jumbo leeches. Most of the structure I fish is 8-14’. It’s not the best way to catch numbers but works well for bigger fish on the lakes that I fish. Plus I find bobber fishing more fun than trolling lindy rigs or crawler harnesses. Around mid August I will start trolling large crank baits over deeper structure, 15-25’.
When you slipbobber fish Are you anchoring your canoe, floating in the wind over structure, beaching and fishing from shore?

When you slipbobber fish Are you anchoring your canoe, floating in the wind over structure, beaching and fishing from shore?
Anchor! I use a light weight galvanized anchor, probably weighs 6 or 7 pounds and holds great. In a canoe be sure to use a knot that you can release quickly with one hand in case a few big rollers come your way. Something I’ve only had to do once but probably saved me from a canoe full of water. A large rock works in a pinch but a light anchor is much safer than a rock or a bag full of rocks (anchor bag). I saved a guys life once that tipped his canoe in cold water using an anchor bag. He had a couple of other things going on as well. He was way too heavy for the small solo canoe that he was in. I’ve received some pretty snarky comments from canoe tripping purists when they know I portage an anchor. I’m not sure why it bothers them, I’m the one carrying it!

Anchor! I use a light weight galvanized anchor, probably weighs 6 or 7 pounds and holds great. In a canoe be sure to use a knot that you can release quickly with one hand in case a few big rollers come your way. Something I’ve only had to do once but probably saved me from a canoe full of water. A large rock works in a pinch but a light anchor is much safer than a rock or a bag full of rocks (anchor bag). I saved a guys life once that tipped his canoe in cold water using an anchor bag. He had a couple of other things going on as well. He was way too heavy for the small solo canoe that he was in. I’ve received some pretty snarky comments from canoe tripping purists when they know I portage an anchor. I’m not sure why it bothers them, I’m the one carrying it!
Thanks! For the anchor tip!

When I worked in Ely it was amazing the different groups there’d be from guys who were ultralight fly only smallmouth fisherman to groups that would portage in coolers of plastic bottles of beer, oil for frying fish, the whole nine yards. We had one group come back with the aluminum canoe covered in soot from a fire. Find out that they filled it with water with a fire underneath and would have a jacuzzi at night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back