Just a Poor Colorado kid!

For the record... This hunt happened in September. While Dink certainly has a penchant for literary gold, he certainly isn't prompt with the delivery of the saga, it takes time to create a masterpiece... His style is much like Taylor Sheridan's, great story telling, rarely finishes a story without leaving you in agonizing doubt that it will ever be finished...:ROFLMAO:

I hope he finds time between slaving for the man and feeding his family to accommodate the rest of us impatient sort with his epic novel!;)

Last edited:
There is nothing going on in the near vicinity, so i head back to the truck. I head up the road to a trick tank I really liked the looks of while scouting earlier. There is not much going on there, no fresh sign at all. It has been raining a ton up until the season and the elk are hitting the earth tanks. Which is fine, because I really didn't want to sit on water anyway.

I head back to main road and to try and catch my brother on the way in. Of course I hit cell service and already get my first pic of a dead bool from the unit this AM. Total monster😬

My bro finally arrives and we decided to go take a look at an area someone had given me a waypoint for from the prior year. The name of the waypoint alone had potential!6E3B0B0B-ED9D-4D4C-BE5F-5867C1280EE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Clearly we need to head West. The wind is out of the NE so we head West early to get hooked around them for the evening hunt.

What happened after that was an evening of total elk chaos. Bugling, glunking, crashing, the big show, the good stuff.

The elk slowly rut fested their way back East throughout the evening and we followed. Never really got super close to a bool but still totally awesome!

Another lame video but interesting setting, the Silver in the back ground right is our trucks😂

The next day I have a super infamous original gangster Hunttaker (SIOGH) coming up to the unit to show me some specific spots he thinks might pay off. He’s actually scouting some place else for his elk tag and despite telling him to stay there he is coming up anyway. Good egg!

We wake up and I pick an area close to camp so we can meet up with the SIOGH midday. It is also a spot that another info source had told me he drove up to a water tank in the middle of the day in 2022 and there was a 7X7 bool on it. Very Nice!

We head to the area butt crack early and listen in the dark. Real quick we can hear a pre-light rut fest going on South of us. Check the wind, head West in the truck to hook the wind and we start following along on foot as it gets light, heading to the East. Not really calling, just bird dogging along hoping to get the diagonal on their direction and the wind. At one point I spot a bool several hundred yards away and he is super nice. Strangely enough a heavy framed 6er with matching 7th kickers on each side.

They climb up out of the first valley and we follow. When up on the next flat it feels like they are trying to go south a bit so I trot up to try and cut them off. Sure enough it works. 2 rag bools walk by and I can hear another bull following. He's about to walk by about 20 yards in front of me and like a rookie I don't draw my bow.

My brother panics behind me and cow calls. That was a mistake too, the bool just stops broadside at 20 yards trying to look through me. 2 rookie mistakes in 30 seconds. The bull stands there for a good while and bolts, sadly it was the cheater 7X7 bool.

But no worries, there are bools bugling in nearly every direction of the compass from us. All we have to do is pick one and head that way.

Last edited:
are you hunting bools or bulls? I'm getting confused on the multiple species' references lol

Clearly we need to head West. The wind is out of the NE so we head West early to get hooked around them for the evening hunt.

What happened after that was an evening of total elk chaos. Bugling, glunking, crashing, the big show, the good stuff.

The elk slowly rut fested their way back East throughout the evening and we followed. Never really got super close to a bool but still totally awesome!

Another lame video but interesting setting, the Silver in the back ground right is our trucks😂

Elk within sight of the truck! My kind of hunting!

We pick a bool that sounds decent to the SE and head that way. The wind has picked up a ton, hard to hear them bugle but way better for sneakin around. Around 9 AM we get up 80-90 yards or so from a bool. He bugles ever so often, but stays in one spot surrounded by dead Pinion trees. I can't hardly get a good look at him.

After a bit, a cow he was with heads West across a Sage flat and he follows. I go back to my brother and say I think he might be fairly decent size bool. My brother said he didn't get a great look at him, but thought he was barely a sixer, maybe 260in🤔

Looking at the GPS, although we have crossed a 2-track along the way, we have ended up about 2+ miles from the truck this morning. Since the elk are headed back in that direction anyway I, figure we might as well get around down wind of them again and watch a bit. It can't hurt to be close to rutting elk.

We get downwind from a bugling bool, I figure it is the one we just saw. My brother stays back and bugles while I use the Juniper trees as cover and keep moving up after every time he answers. The herd is moving away but not fast. I work up about 100 yards and catch glimpses of a couple elk. A bool is pushing a cow and calf around. He is also waving those stupid antlers around and posturing to them. Every time his antlers even touch a tree branch he attacks it. Plenty worked up. I have the funny pants feeling from watching.
The bool looks to have redonkulous tops.

The bool cuts way to my left then starts coming to my right. He steps out in the open, in bow range, broadside. I tell myself it’s probably too late, but I draw back anyway just to see if I can. He sees me and stops. I wasn’t planning on shooting but away the arrow flys.

Whack! Fugg!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back