Yeti GOBOX Collection

Jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor Wagon

I jumped on the 6.5 creed wagon in 2020, then jumped off later that year. I bought a Henry long ranger chambered in the Creedmoor and it wasn't accurate at all so I traded it for a rifle that I traded for a rifle that I traded for yet another rifle. Woulda kept the Henry if I'd bought it in 308.

I jumped on the 6.5 creed wagon in 2020, then jumped off later that year. I bought a Henry long ranger chambered in the Creedmoor and it wasn't accurate at all so I traded it for a rifle that I traded for a rifle that I traded for yet another rifle. Woulda kept the Henry if I'd bought it in 308.
You think it was a cartridge issue or rifle issue? Would you have kept an inaccurate 308?

You think it was a cartridge issue or rifle issue? Would you have kept an inaccurate 308?
Gasp!!!
Cartridge issue with the 6.5 Needmoor??
We all know the cartridge will shoot flies off a T Rex at 3 miles while the cartridge is still sitting on the bench, not even in the firearm yet.
Just ask someone that has one...

:ROFLMAO:

Gasp!!!
Cartridge issue with the 6.5 Needmoor??
We all know the cartridge will shoot flies off a T Rex at 3 miles while the cartridge is still sitting on the bench, not even in the firearm yet.
Just ask someone that has one...

:ROFLMAO:

Heck yes! They actually shoot their best from standing positions, and no rest. That’s how I roll with mine anyway. I have been tempted to replace it with a 7mm-08 though. I heard of a guy on hear that gets hole in hole accuracy with his hippo rounds.

Actually the 308s in that gun were proven to be more accurate. The 6.5 just wasn’t and everyone complained. It wasn’t like bad bad accuracy, but 1.5” groups aren’t my thing. The 308s were typically sub moa rifles

While having several 6.5cm rifles set up for long-range target work, my only hunting rifle chambered in 6.5cm is just a donor action for my 7x57AI build. But no doubt if you pick a decent bullet it is as good a hunting cartridge as any other "short action" 120-140gn choice.

I can’t find anything to back this claim up. 308 vs. 6.5 This article seems solid and has links to all sorts of articles including military studies. Everything I read is that the 6.5 is inherently more accurate.

It sounds like a manufacturer issue. I’ve also never heard of companies having a certain round that’s known for accuracy not shoot in a rifle, while other solid rounds do. I’m talking the exact same rifle. Was it a different barrel contour? Material? Incorrect twist rate?

I love both rounds, and they’re two sports cars, each has their strengths.

I can’t find anything to back this claim up. 308 vs. 6.5 This article seems solid and has links to all sorts of articles including military studies. Everything I read is that the 6.5 is inherently more accurate.

It sounds like a manufacturer issue. I’ve also never heard of companies having a certain round that’s known for accuracy not shoot in a rifle, while other solid rounds do. I’m talking the exact same rifle. Was it a different barrel contour? Material? Incorrect twist rate?

I love both rounds, and they’re two sports cars, each has their strengths.
I watched many reviews where the 6.5 long ranger came up short and the 308 version was stellar in comparison. Then I talk to people who have experience with both and the 308 people arw always hppy with the rifle as opposed to the 6.5 guys being unimpressed. It’s not really documented, but I’ve found all the evidence that points to it.

This ain’t bashing the 6.5 creedmoor, btw. It’s just my experience with a certain rifle chambered in it.

While having several 6.5cm rifles set up for long-range target work, my only hunting rifle chambered in 6.5cm is just a donor action for my 7x57AI build. But no doubt if you pick a decent bullet it is as good a hunting cartridge as any other "short action" 120-140gn choice.
Finally!

I watched many reviews where the 6.5 long ranger came up short and the 308 version was stellar in comparison. Then I talk to people who have experience with both and the 308 people arw always hppy with the rifle as opposed to the 6.5 guys being unimpressed. It’s not really documented, but I’ve found all the evidence that points to it.

This ain’t bashing the 6.5 creedmoor, btw. It’s just my experience with a certain rifle chambered in it.
Sounds like the manufacturer screwed something up when they made all their 6.5 CMs. For short range and factory ammo it should be at least as accurate as a 308Win, and probably has a broader spectrum of factory ammo that will be accurate.

I hear you, but technically you haven’t found any solid “evidence.” Evidence is technically rested in data in spite of how our court system operates. All of your information is experiential and anecdotal. It would be really interesting to see an experiment really testing this, collecting data, analyzing it, and determining why! I’m super curious what would cause it. I’m a science nerd…

Last edited:
I hear you, but technically you haven’t found any solid “evidence.” Evidence is technically rested in data inspire of how our court system operates. All of your information is experiential and anecdotal. It would be really interesting to see an experiment really testing this, collecting data, analyzing it, and determining why! I’m super curious what would cause it. I’m a science nerd…
Yeah you’re right. I’d like to see someone do that test at some point.

I hear you, but technically you haven’t found any solid “evidence.” Evidence is technically rested in data inspire of how our court system operates. All of your information is experiential and anecdotal. It would be really interesting to see an experiment really testing this, collecting data, analyzing it, and determining why! I’m super curious what would cause it. I’m a science nerd…
What fun is the mythology of hunting if we get all sciency about it. Data this, data that, what's really fun is arguing about the advice my brother-in-law gave me vs the experience of your barber. ;)

UPDATE: The gun they were transferring from another store (only HOWA Hogue 1500 in the chain not in heavy barrel) was already reserved by a local customer unbeknownst to both employees who helped me.

We are back to zero so going to another local chain store today to see what they have available.
Scheels seemed to have a decent National selection.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back