Raffle Win!

FairWeather

Yep, I actually won a gun raffle!

Got news last week that I won a Howa 1500 Superlite in 6.5 CM through a raffle at my local OHA chapter. Just went and did the background today, and now it’s home.

It’s crazy how light this gun is! It’s one thing to read that it weighs under 5lbs, but another thing to actually hold it. I weighed it with my fish scale, it was 4.8lbs w/o scope, and it’s now 6.03 with a Nikon prostaff on it.

Only down side is it’s a right handed gun and I’m a left handed shooter. Guess I’ll just have to live with it like my left handed forefathers did.

Hoping to take it to the range in the next week or two and see how it performs. It’s supposed to have a sun MOA guarantee, but I doubt I can shoot well enough to prove or disprove that. If I really like it, I may look into getting a suppressor for it down the line.

Either way, figure I’ll carry it with me this deer season and hopefully I’ll notice a lack of needing to adjust my strap.

IMG_5799.jpeg

You mean being a man bun caliber isn't a downside?
At first I thought it was, as I’m a big fan of 308. But when I brought it home and my wife asked “so which one is it replacing, and how much can you get for it?” Having this rifle in a caliber I don’t already own allowed me to justify (in my mind) keeping them all.

Plus, this is the nicest rifle I’ll ever get for $20!

Nice win on a rifle! Run a query like "shooting ultralight rifles accurately" through your search engine of choice. In my limited experience these light guns can be a whole different beast that expose and amplify even the most seemingly minute shooting flaws. I was initially pretty disappointed in my shooting skills with a Howa Alpine, feeling like years of progress went out the door kind of disappointed. I still need some refinement, but I've been able to get that pup tamed to dang near MOA groups after a few range trips.

Yep, I actually won a gun raffle!

Got news last week that I won a Howa 1500 Superlite in 6.5 CM through a raffle at my local OHA chapter. Just went and did the background today, and now it’s home.

Only down side is it’s a right handed gun and I’m a left handed shooter. Guess I’ll just have to live with it like my left handed forefathers did.
Congratulations on your raffle win! I hope you'll enjoy it!

I'm an LH shooter too. So yes, it is disappointing that Howa doesn't sell any LH rifles. Howa isn't alone in that decision either. Sadly, it means that I automatically write them off of my list for potential gun purchases. In your shoes, I'd sell it and use the funds towards another gun in LH, or some other purchase. That's just me though... It is a beauty!

Congratulations on your raffle win! I hope you'll enjoy it!

I'm an LH shooter too. So yes, it is disappointing that Howa doesn't sell any LH rifles. Howa isn't alone in that decision either. Sadly, it means that I automatically write them off of my list for potential gun purchases. In your shoes, I'd sell it and use the funds towards another gun in LH, or some other purchase. That's just me though... It is a beauty!
I haven’t completely written off the possibility. I want to take it to the range first and see how it shoots.
If it’ll cloverleaf at 100yd, I’ll learn to live with the inconvenience.

If it’s less than impressive, I’ll likely move it on down the road.

Congrats on the rifle! I'm a left handed shooter who has exclusively used right handed bolt guns my entire life. No issues here. Might just take some time to adjust.

I’ll help you out and give you $200 for it. Out of the kindness of my heart.

Seriously, congratulations. Only thing that I’ve ever won in my life was a pair of camo jersey gloves from a wild game dinner. Winning a gun, no matter how uncomely, would tickle me to death. That’s a heck of a nice one

Love mine and with Talleys and Leupold 2.5x8 it is under 5.5#s. I am also left handed, but learned to shoot on my Dad's right handed rifles, so that is all I have ever shot in life. It would be tougher if you are accustomed to lefty though, just back to the fundamentals. Shot a buck left handed one time because that is what the shot presented, had to concentrate a bit.

As for shooting ultra lightweight rifles, my non-trigger hand will rest on the bell of the scope to hold the rifle down securely while gripping securely with my trigger hand but not inducing torque. They are sweet little rifles, have some flaws, but most do no matter what you pay for them.

Took the rifle out to the range to zero it in today. Gotta say, it was something of a chore but we got it there.

Most of the trouble was me. The limbsaver keeps the impact/recoil soft, but the thing is so light it that it really leaps when it goes off. I pulled more shots than I care to admit. Nevertheless, I think it will suffice just fine for the hunting I do, but I definitely want to get more trigger time with it before October.

I was pleasantly surprised at how insignificant the right handedness of the rifle was when cycling the action. Was it as effortless as my LH rifle? No, but it wasn’t uncomfortable or awkward to reach over top and work the action. Definitely affords a faster follow up than my single shot rifle. Hoping I don’t need one from all the same.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back