PEAX Equipment

July scouting

Nut

I will be going to where we will be hunting this fall. I know to look for trails and allow for where food will be.(white oak trees,corn,soybean fields). I also will be looking for old rubs and scrapes.

Anything else I should look for?

LOL
shhh.gif

Nut, you need to come to MT. I know there are opportunities for some dandy whiteys in OH, but you need to visit this part of the county as well.

I know the costs are high, but if you get the tag and gas I will take care of you after that. No booners, but we aught to be able to find something to your liking.

Thanks mtmiller, I guess I might have to enter some draws next year. The need to go west is inside me and wants to bust out for sure. ;)

LOL I only kill the dinks here and let TE gets the big ones. :D

Nut, I would also try to figure out where the sanctuaries are. That's where the big boys will go when the shootin' starts.
shhh.gif

Or you could spend all of your time trying to figure out where to put up two ladder stands in 100 acres of woods and then put them 50 yards apart. :rolleyes:
:D

Nut,
I have ALWAYS found good numbers of deer using swamp edges early in the bow season. They like the cooler temps and lack of traffic as well as the succulents and lichens that flurish with limited sunlight. The only problem is it's usually VERY close to bedrooms so discretion is key. I've started cutting a trail on an edge 2 years ago that still isn't finished but it helps bring them to my stands. Good luck.

Chas

Thanks chas and Darren(LOL pal).

I know a few bedding areas on the public lands where we hunt. I will be looking closely at some of the private lands and determing where a ground blind might be good. (Have a ideal on one for sure)

Hey Nut,

I found some still used scrapes this year the last weekend in April.....I went ahead and trimmed trails and picked out a tree for a climber at a likley ambush spot near there.

I didnt realize some scrapes are used year round but I have found a couple others thru the years that have REALLY paid off for me.

Keep Lookin dude.....Shure is hot for that now though!

I know and I probably will be skeeter bait doing it. But where I will be hunting the majority of time is 4 hours away and I need to be thourough with each chance I get. So the weekend of the 4th I will be there and hopefully get some more clues to where the big boys are and if the ones I saw are still around. ;)

Spend lots of time figuring out where the best stands would be, maybe do some trimming. Look for bottlenecks and, if there's barbed wire fence, maybe tie the top strand down a few inches to make an easier place for deer to jump over. That'll draw them to that spot.

That is a good ideal Ithaca. On the one private land there is a fence that seperates it from the next property. It already has a opening that deer travel through from what I remember from a couple of years ago. There also is a creek that flows down the backside of the property there that might be a good spot for sure.

I will be mainly setting up ground blinds and planning to that.

Well I got a few things narrowed down and a couple more places that have to be scouted even more. I also have a couple of spots picked out where there is no pressure at all on public lands. (Only thing is you will either have to walk to spot or be dropped off) The big plus is it is a main pathway that is used all year long.

It is shaping up to be pretty good for this fall. I hope we whack em and stack em. :D

Nut,
If you're sure you're out there on your own bring a roll of thread with you. On your way out set the thread on the trail you're using ONLY if you can be back out the next day. It won't tell you time of travel but it will tell you direction after 3-4 tries and you won't have to worry about theft.

Chas

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back