Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Judging From A Distance

dColson90

Hello all! I've been a member for a while now, but I am normally pretty quiet. But, I figured I would reach out and see if i could get some pointers.

This year I drew WY area 67 for the second year in a row. Last year was my very first pronghorn buck, and while I have no shame in his size since he was my first one (scored better than I thought he was going to when I loaded him into the truck), I have come to realize just how deceptive they are when looking through glass. I have attached the only one that I have found scouting so far this year that looks like he may be what I want, but I honestly can't tell if he's any better than what I harvested last year (last year scored 74). I realize I have plenty of time before the season starts, and I fully intend to alternate between scouting pronghorn one week and deer the next week, I have just realized that I don't have the confidence with pronghorn that I do deer when spotting them.20200627_211608.jpg

Judging antelope is hard and I’m far from an expert. What I’ve learned from experiencing ground shrinkage is that the bucks that don’t appear to have much mass are almost always smaller than they look. The heavy bucks that appear to have a lot of mass are usually bigger than they look.

Mass was the only thing that caught my eye with the buck I posted. Although he looks pretty heavy on bottom, he looks pretty light up top. I am really hoping to find some far better bucks in the coming weeks. Thanks for the tip!

Mass was the only thing that caught my eye with the buck I posted. Although he looks pretty heavy on bottom, he looks pretty light up top. I am really hoping to find some far better bucks in the coming weeks. Thanks for the tip!
How far up they carry mass really has a big impact on scoring. His prongs are really low.

I spend a whole lot of time working in the areas bordering 67 and I think passing on him is a very smart decision...

I spend a whole lot of time working in the areas bordering 67 and I think passing on him is a very smart decision...

My dad works in 66 and SWEARS there is a buck that comes in every morning from the reservation that is at least 16 inches tall and prongs above the ears that crosses the highway into 67. Maybe this weekend I'll drive down the 66/67 boundary and see if I can spot him.

The one I posted a picture of I think I'm categorizing as a last day buck. Its such a large hunt area, there HAS to be some in there that score 83+!

My dad works in 66 and SWEARS there is a buck that comes in every morning from the reservation that is at least 16 inches tall and prongs above the ears that crosses the highway into 67. Maybe this weekend I'll drive down the 66/67 boundary and see if I can spot him.

The one I posted a picture of I think I'm categorizing as a last day buck. Its such a large hunt area, there HAS to be some in there that score 83+!

Breaking 80 is like 180 on a mule deer or 350 on an Elk. Everyone swears they have seen plenty but few folks actually have killed one.

I think even experienced measurers might estimate a buck 10% bigger on the hoof than once you put a tape on him. I've been guilty of that.

F3DCD4C0-9859-4D83-8EBF-FC012A36A493.jpeg
I’m no expert but we’ve shot a few over 80, the biggest thing I look for on side view is how far above the ears the prong is. This one scores in the 80’s and you can see the distance before his prong is almost double the height of his ears. 17” and 16 7/8” dry. Op pictured buck I’m calling a low 60’s buck..

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back