Judge Rules S&W Can Be Sued

While I believe this is generally foolishness, and political posturing.

I do find it troubling this operator fanboy behavior where people spend thousands of dollars on kit to go out to the range and pretend to kill people. It seems a clear pivot by the commercial off the shelf gear supplier trying to expand their markets as demand from GWOT has waned, or the market has just been flooded. I understand the desire to be prepared and for self defense, but I think there is some weird fantasizing/glorification of what is a real serious/brutal/necessary skill.
THIS ^^^^^^

Many a time I have pulled up to the range - seen the morons playing Rambo - and decided to come back another day. Unless you are all out of clean normal clothes there is no reason to put on full fatigues to go to the range.

I bought my buddy some new broadheads for his birthday. Is it my fault if he decides to go postal on an archery rampage and shoot someone with one of the broadheads I bought him? When will the stupidity stop and the individual be held accountable for their own actions?
And in your hypothetical, you have no liability, but if your buddy was perseverating about killing his ex and you spent weeks convincing him that your broadheads would do the trick and he then did it - the law would then need to address the actions of each of you. Him responsible for his, you for yours.

For hundreds of years tort law "objectivity" has been wrapped into this sense of "the reasonable person". What would the reasonable person do, what would the reasonable person think, what precautions would a reasonable undertake, what would a reasonable person foresee, etc etc. The jury of peers then has to decide what is "reasonable" given the presented facts. Each juror does (and always has) to some extent insert a bit of their subjective thinking into their answer to that question but they are supposed to stick to the question. The decisions of many juries over time essentially defines the "objective standard" for that issue in that region.

As citizens' views change over time or vary by location and thereby so does the reasonable and objective standard. There is no chiseled stone of objective tort law - and there never has been for its 400+ year history. There has been no systematic move in tort law away from objectivity towards subjectivity. This is just a perception caused by a lack of acknowledgment that the standards of behavior of a "reasonable person" change over time and vary by community.

Where congress feels these changes or variances are harmful to interstate commerce they may interject with statute. Similarly, the courts may interject constitutional protections as well. But that tends to happen later in the process.
I'm thinking of the astronaut gun meme where the one facing earth asks if our tort law system is really majoritarian instead of classically liberal and the astronaut holding the gun says "always has been". Wish my meme game was better so I could actually make it. Lol.

Another reason social conservatives should just abandon classical liberalism.

I bought my buddy some new broadheads for his birthday. Is it my fault if he decides to go postal on an archery rampage and shoot someone with one of the broadheads I bought him? When will the stupidity stop and the individual be held accountable for their own actions?
If they’re fixed blades, you might have something to worry about. Expandables won’t hurt anything.

Disclaimer: This will make me sound much smarter than I am. :cool:

I follow S&W stock because my son owns one share in his investment account (because S&W owned Thompson-Center, which made his rifle). The share price recently doubled on a strong earnings report and has been dwindling back to reality since then. Down 3.89% today when I checked a moment ago. It appears to me that the people who have real money on the line aren't especially alarmed by this news.

QQ

THIS ^^^^^^

Many a time I have pulled up to the range - seen the morons playing Rambo - and decided to come back another day. Unless you are all out of clean normal clothes there is no reason to put on full fatigues to go to the range.
What’s the difference between tactical Chad and stone glacier Steve?
why not try to accept and understand these human beings and their thoughts, opinions and beliefs?
#coexist

I personally may get a kick out of choice in clothing though some clothing is for functional purpose - others are for eh, open opinion based style(?).

I don't care @ range, so long as each person maintains the obligatory range safety...

I've floated a river and seen people that gave me the same internal humored "kick" out of tourists wanting to be, eh... authentic flyfishermen/women.

Whitefish golf restaurant with golf apparel that's simply silly... though, if it mentally puts them in their game mode... who am I to judge externally? Some are vocally judgemental. Those are the ones I find a bit... rude.

I’m fine with this really. As long as they start holding alcohol companies liable for a drunk drivers, big Pharma responsible for overdoses and drug reactions, and the whole junk food industry and largely the fast food industry for the obesity pandemic.

I’m fine with this really. As long as they start holding alcohol companies liable for a drunk drivers, big Pharma responsible for overdoses and drug reactions, and the whole junk food industry and largely the fast food industry for the obesity pandemic.
Gotta take the last one to the Hague. By definition, pandemic means global so US courts can't do much there.

If the liquor company had an advert that showed Dean Martin mixing a cocktail from the wet bar of his 63 Lincoln Continental, then both the vodka company & Lincoln would be liable.

And I'd likely have that ad framed and in a place of reverence in my office.

If the liquor company had an advert that showed Dean Martin mixing a cocktail from the wet bar of his 63 Lincoln Continental, then both the vodka company & Lincoln would be liable.

And I'd likely have that ad framed and in a place of reverence in my office.
Isn't that McConaughey

I personally may get a kick out of choice in clothing though some clothing is for functional purpose - others are for eh, open opinion based style(?).

I've floated a river and seen people that gave me the same internal humored "kick" out of tourists wanting to be, eh... authentic flyfishermen/women.
I fly fish in flip flops..... Stupid, probably. But I like water, and on a hot summer day fishing that cold water feels fantastic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back