Kerry voters are smarter than Bush voters

Calif. Hunter

Win or Lose, Kerry Voters Are Smarter Than Bush Voters

NEW YORK--Democratic hand wringing is surrealy out of hand. No one is criticizing the
morally incongruous Kerry for running against a war he voted for while insisting that
he would have voted for it again. Party leaders have yet to consider that NAFTA,
signed into law under Clinton, may have cost them high-unemployment Ohio. No, Indiana
Senator Evan Bayh, darling of the "centrist" Democratic Leadership Council, blames
something else: the perception "in the heartland" that Democrats are a "bicoastal
cultural elite that is condescending at best and contemptuous at worst to the values
that Americans hold in their daily lives."

Firstly, living in the sticks doesn't make you more American. Rural, urban or
suburban--they're irrelevant. San Francisco's predominantly gay Castro district is
every bit as red, white and blue as the Texas panhandle. But if militant Christianist
Republicans from inland backwaters believe that secular liberal Democrats from the
big coastal cities look upon them with disdain, there's a reason. We do, and all the
more so after this election.

I spent my childhood in fly-over country, in a decidedly Republican town in southwest
Ohio. It was a decent place to grow up, with well-funded public schools and only the
occasional marauding serial killer to worry about. The only ethnic restaurant sold
something called "Mandarin Chinese," Midwestese for cold noodles slathered with
sugary sauce. The county had three major employers: the Air Force, Mead Paper, and
National Cash Register--and NCR was constantly laying people off. Folks were nice,
but depressingly closed-minded. "Well," they'd grimace when confronted with a new
musical genre or fashion trend, "that's different." My suburb was racially insular,
culturally bland and intellectually unstimulating. Its people were knee-jerk
conformists. Faced with the prospect of spending my life underemployed, bored and
soused, I did what anyone with a bit of ambition would do. I went to college in a big
city and stayed there.

Mine is a common story. Every day in America, hundreds of our most talented young men
and women flee the suburbs and rural communities for big cities, especially those on
the West and East Coasts. Their youthful vigor fuels these metropolises--the cultural
capitals of the blue states. These oases of liberal thinking--New York, Los Angeles,
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston--are homes to our best-educated people, most
vibrant popular culture and most innovative and productive businesses. There are
exceptions--some smart people move from cities to the countryside--but the best and
brightest gravitate to places where liberalism rules.

Maps showing Kerry's blue states appended to the "United States of Canada" separated
from Bush's red "Jesusland" are circulating by email. Though there is a religious
component to the election results, the biggest red-blue divide is intellectual. "How
can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?" asked the headline of the Daily Mirror in Great
Britain, and the underlying assumption is undeniable. By any objective standard, you
had to be spectacularly stupid to support Bush.

72 percent who cast votes for George W. Bush, according to a University of Maryland's
Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) and Knowledge Networks poll, believe
that Iraq (news - web sites) had weapons of mass destruction or active WMD programs.
75 percent think that a Saddam-Al Qaeda link has been proven, and 20 percent say
Saddam ordered 9/11. Of course, none of this was true.

Kerry voters were less than half as idiotic: 26 percent of Democrats bought into
Bush-Cheney's WMD lies, and 30 percent into Saddam-Al Qaeda.

Would Bush's supporters have voted for him even if they had known he was a serial
liar? Perhaps their hatred of homosexuals and slutty abortion vixens would have
prompted them to make the same choice--an idiotic perversion of priorities. As things
stand, they cast their ballots relying on assumptions that were demonstrably false.

Educational achievement doesn't necessarily equal intelligence. After all, Bush holds
a Harvard MBA. Still, it bears noting that Democrats are better educated than
Republicans. You are 25 percent more likely to hold a college degree if you live in
the Democratic northeast than in the red state south. Blue state voters are 25
percent more likely, therefore, to understand the historical and cultural
ramifications of Bush's brand of bull-in-a-china-shop foreign policy.

Inland Americans face a bigger challenge than coastal "cultural elitists" when it
comes to finding high-quality news coverage. The best newspapers, which routinely win
prizes for their in-depth local and national reporting and staffers overseas, line
the coasts. So do the cable TV networks with the broadest offerings and most
independent radio stations. Bush Country makes do with Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity
syndicated on one cookie-cutter AM outlet after another. Citizens of the blue states
read lackluster dailies stuffed with generic stories cut and pasted from wire
services. Given their dismal access to high-quality media, it's a minor miracle that
40 percent of Mississippians turned out for Kerry.

So our guy lost the election. Why shouldn't those of us on the coasts feel superior?
We eat better, travel more, dress better, watch cooler movies, earn better salaries,
meet more interesting people, listen to better music and know more about what's going
on in the world. If you voted for Bush, we accept that we have to share the country
with you. We're adjusting to the possibility that there may be more of you than there
are of us. But don't demand our respect. You lost it on November 2.

Calif Hunter,who wrote that ???? LOL
It looks alot like some of the back patting post's we get on this forum .

"eat better, travel more, dress better, watch cooler movies, earn better salaries,
meet more interesting people, listen to better music and know more about what's going
on in the world."

"But don't demand our respect."

Far from demanding or even needing the respect of these "cultural Guru's" I find it enlightning that I don't have to be around many of them here in Idaho .

I heard about this study on demacrat's and republicans sex life It said they found that the "Demacrat more often faked an orgasm" then the republican did :D

This could explain alot .

Typical democratic BS... I like how he says the red states are dumb, but then goes on to say we're all the same... ;) I think the thing he misses is the urban folks really don't relate to the folks in the country and vise versa. I'm not aware of an overwhelming majority of intelligent people where I live. :eek: A good share of them quit school when second grade got too tough. 49% graduated high school… They sure is smart in the cities! If living in the city is so great and the people are so smart then how come they have the highest rate of about everything... Crime, polution, etc...

Here is another article, saying the "blue states" should secede from the Union and join with Canada...

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041109-122753-5113r.htm

The first article is datelined New York, so I figure it was in the NY Times.

new_map.jpg

OK, Cali, I'll bite just to give you pleasure. ;)

Yep, that's certainly going to win voters in 2008! The "do what I say because I'm smarter than you" tactic is always a sure bet. :rolleyes:

While we're quoting baseless, unfounded, meaningless statistics about how the best and brightest are in the costal metropoli (sorry, big word, can't use that 'cause I'm from KY), let's look at a few more statistics. I wonder where the majority of social program funding like welfare goes? Couldn't be the metropoli...that's where all the best and brightest are! What cities have the highest crime rates (despite having the strictist gun controls)? It must be those "backwater" "flyover" midwestern towns. Oh, wait...it must the minions of the elite causing all those problems. One cannot have a kingdom without subjects, after all! :rolleyes:

Stop me any time...I'm sure someone will soon tell me how my statistics are somehow less meaningful than those in the article above.
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

Interesting point of view. Among the things that it doesn't say is that there is also a plethora of unemployed, welfare receiving, unhappy, uneducated masses in and around the major population centers because they would die in rural America or be forced to get off of their welfare collecting asses and work for a living like the rest of use. It's not the educated folks who got Kerry close, but the uneducated lookin' for a handout, minority and union employed folks and the gays. If you look at a map of California by county and how they voted, you will find that the areas around San Francisco and Los Angeles are the areas that carried Kerry. Most of rural California and even San Diego County all went Bush.

CH, I think your author needs to do some more research..

Who wrote that diatribe, anyway?

:cool:

You know that map just might cure a whole lot of what is wrong with the U.S. We lose California, that would be a big plus. Minnesota would go, they would have to rename the Mall of America but that is doable. The upper NorthEast would also not be a net loss for the U.S.

Washington and Oregon would be a toss up maybe we could keep eastern Washington and southern Oregon.

I only get hunt waterfowl in Canada but hey I could forgo that.

Not a bad idea really.

Nemont

That other thread (state ranks) shows a positive correlation,( r>0.4, that is way above what would be expected from chance), between states averages on SAT scores, for those who took it, and the percentage of the state that voted for Bush in 04. It didn't matter if the state was red or blue, the correlation is accross all states. The states with higher percentages for Bush tended to have kids who scored higher on the SAT. The states with lower percentage for Bush in 04, tended to have kids who scored lower on the SAT.

This articles author needs to check if the 25 percent in the Kerry states with the college degrees, were the ones who voted for Bush. It could have been those without the degrees in those states voted for Kerry and those with the degrees, voted for Bush.

Just because a state has some people with degrees, doesn't mean you know who they voted for? The positive correlation of SAT scores and percent that voted for Bush, does a good job of pointing out the authors erroneous thinking. They probably voted for Kerry, judging by the tone of the article.

'Cmon Nemont...don't throw ol' Marv out with the bath water :(
If your gonna salvage So. Oregon and Eastern Washington, how about poor old NorCal??? I'm happy to say that Bush won our county by the third highest percentage in this entire Kooky state (by 37% ranking only behind the other two counties that I hunt in ;) )

Please let me stay, I promise to be good :D

f6421258.jpg

Hey I'm all for susceededing to Jesus land! But that map isn't entirely correct. We also get B. C. less Vancover, Alberta, Yukon, and NWT. Maybe Saskatchewan as well. Sounds like a good deal to me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back