Jobs For a College student

Lots of things are different right now on campus, might not be much going on at the Union. They do need folks in the bookstore though, ad in paper last week.
State hiring is going to be tough for a while.
Students only on campus for part of the semester so any job you find there may be over by hunting season.

Possibly check out working for the university. At the state schools in Wisconsin, if you wanted a job, showed up, and put in a little effort, you could get a job on campus. They were really flexible about working around class schedules. Check out and see if grad students need help with research projects too

*Edit: this was before Covid 19. I have no idea what it's like on campus now....

Something that I have heard is big money lately is tutoring for kids who go to schools that are closed. Around here you can get $50/hr to go to their house and help them with their assignments and lessons if you are a college student. Just a personal choice if you're comfortable going into people's homes right now.

During "normal" times I would suggest working in a restaurant where you can walk with $100 cash in your pocket most nights. Not sure if your long term plan requires hours of experience for Wildlife Bio related work tho. I did great working nights at a hotel/restaurant waiting tables and doing room service. Nice thing about room service at night is when it gets slow you can study or hammer out some assignments until calls calls come in. Best of luck

Find a trade to work in. I worked concrete for a few years, if you know what you're doing or work hard and can learn quick you can make a lot of money. Even only the second half of the day!

Here in about 2 months, outside work will wind down except snow removal.
You may find a taxidermist that needs a helper for fall . I know a guy that does euros only throughout the fall, and guides. He may need some help, he had tons of work last fall.

Hey everyone! first time posting on hunt talk so I'm not sure if what I'm posting is allowed but its worth a shot. I just quit my job as a park ranger for Texas Parks and Wildlife to go back to school for Wildlife Biology, I got accepted into University of Wyoming and am Moving to Laramie Next week. I'm posting this because my class schedule has me busy until about noon all week, I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything that fits my schedule especially anything outdoor related. Any help or advice would be much appreciated! thanks!

If you're serious about a career in the field (which I assume you are), I would highly suggest finding a position that will give you experience related to whatever segment of wildlife bio you intend to pursue. Start searching the job boards on campus and check with the department administrative folks (they usually post stuff and do all the hiring paperwork). UW is a nice sized campus and you'll get to know many of the staff in the dept anyway as you take courses, etc. The coop unit has some cool projects going on with ungulate migration work. Start building your resume now with good experience, even if the pay is lower. It will benefit you in the long run, trust me.

ScottP is right, I just wonder with our state's financial issues if that kind of work will be available this fall or now. Spouse took that route and worked summers doing field work for studies through the COOP and at Sybille, also USFS summer work.
Private enterprises might be only ones hiring right now in Laramie . Campus is still regulated for access but should be opening up more, soon, if it hasn't already.
Start on campus within your field.
We know some our local biologists, if you want to talk with them and bounce some thoughts off their heads let me know, I'll send contact info. They are good folks.

Welcome to town, you'll enjoy our " heat " in August.

ok great I would love to get those contacts from you I don't know a single person in the area yet so that would help possibly open a few doors for me, appreciate the help!

Back