Caribou Gear

Jet Boil new for me

kevine001

Just picked up a Jet Boil. Been using one of those metal adapters that screw onto a 1 lb propane bottle for coffee or a regular camp stove. Plan to start using dehydrated food (Mtn House) for the first time as well. For those that run JBs, do you usually take more than one can of fuel for a weekend of camping? Also, anyone use it to cook food in a pan or mainly just boiling water? Thanks

I use it to cook food in a pan as well, works pretty good except it does create quite the hot spot in the center of the pan so you need to be attentive and keep stirring/moving food around.

As far as fuel use, the medium sized 8 oz fuel canisters will last about 20 boils or so - so about 100 minutes of run time from what I've noticed. It does depend a bit on temperature as when its cold out, the fuel pressure is lower and the flame won't get quite as hot and thus higher fuel consumption to get the same pot of water boiling. I suppose your water is starting at a lower temperature as well.

I've only used mine to boil water so I'm not sure how well they do with a pan. Do yourself a favor and look into the transfer valve for those isobutane canisters. That way you don't have a stockpile of 1/2 used canisters

Last edited:
Use one all the time. Coffee, water. One lives in my pack. You have a tool that will boil water at 12000ft in a few minutes. Love it.

Not sure if you care or not but Jetboil is not a hunter friendly company. I definitely won't be replacing mine with another jetboil when it dies.

I've only used mine to boil water so I'm not sure how well they do with a pan. Do yourself a favor and look into the transfer valve for those isobutane canisters. That way you don't have a stockpile of 1/2 used canisters
Did not realize that they are not hunter friendly. But I suppose I should not be surprised as they are more REI-backpacker focused I suspect. It'll mainly be for water.

On the transfer valve, I have one to refill the 1 lb propane bottles from the larger tanks. Did not realize they made one that refills these fuel canisters....hmmm. thank you!

Yeah, I typically only need it for coffee and maybe one pot of water at night for a mtn house. During hunting season, it's usually a banana and coffee in the morning, maybe a clifbar after a couple hours, peanut butter sammies and a clifbar for late lunch, then that mtn house after legal light. So basically boiling water twice a day. That's it.

I usually take two 8 oz fuel canisters on weeklong trips. Haven't had to use the second one yet but it's been close enough to warrant the extra one. One should definitely be plenty for weekend camping. Cooking on mine is tricky as I can't fine tune the heat output very well. If you try cooking with it make sure to keep it stirred/moving to prevent burning your food.

Not sure if you care or not but Jetboil is not a hunter friendly company. I definitely won't be replacing mine with another jetboil when it dies.

That's not true they are owned by Johnson outdoor a very hunter and angler friendly company
Do a little research before you regurgitate what you read on another forum

Just picked up a Jet Boil. Been using one of those metal adapters that screw onto a 1 lb propane bottle for coffee or a regular camp stove. Plan to start using dehydrated food (Mtn House) for the first time as well. For those that run JBs, do you usually take more than one can of fuel for a weekend of camping? Also, anyone use it to cook food in a pan or mainly just boiling water? Thanks
I've used mine on several elk hunts. Used it twice/day for ~5 days...never used the spare. Water boiling only for me.

That's not true they are owned by Johnson outdoor a very hunter and angler friendly company
Do a little research before you regurgitate what you read on another forum

60% of employees are age 20-30, and according to research the company is mostly aligned with the Democratic Party. I could find that they do recognize fishing, but no indication of hunting.

Just on the age group and political affiliation, I would guess they aren’t too hunter friendly…

60% of employees are age 20-30, and according to research the company is mostly aligned with the Democratic Party. I could find that they do recognize fishing, but no indication of hunting.

Just on the age group and political affiliation, I would guess they aren’t too hunter friendly…
Are they mostly college educated as well? You might be on to something.

Huh, Newberg better fire all those kids working for him, wouldn’t want to come off as not being hunter friendly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back