JES Rebore or Rebarrel? 338-06 or 35 Whelen?

Sawtooth

So my 35 year old Smith and Wesson 1500 in .270 Win. is finally starting to loose its ability to shoot sub MOA. Loads that once shot .5" at 100 yards, are now shooting 1.75-2". It's been a great rifle, but I think it is time to either replace or rebore the barrel after more than a few thousand rounds. I am weighing the pros and cons of the two options and am thinking the rebore is the best option for economical reasons. The rifle was originally my one and only big game/varmit rifle, but will be my backup elk rifle. I was thinking of reboring the barrel to .338-06 AI or 35 Whelen. I have a .243 Win for varmit and deer. My .308 Win. is my main deer/elk rifle, so I thought a larger caliber option would be a good addition. So here is where I could use some input from those here in the know.
After researching past threads, I noticed a few of you have had JES rebore a barrel or two. How did they shoot after the rebore? Were you able to get sub MOA? After all is said and done, would it have been just as expensive to have the barrel replaced? .338-06 or 35 Whelen? I will be reloading all rounds, and fire forming cases is not a problem.

I've heard nothing but good results from JES rebores and I would go with a different chambering. 9.3x62. Just to be different and with a 250gr Accubond it would cover a whole lot of bases. But, of the choices you listed I'd go with the 338-06 for the bullet selection I'd be most interested in. I use the 210gr Partition out of a 338 win mag and it's never not worked.

I would call or email a few shops and ask the cost of a rebore job vs a new barrel.
A new barrel will always give you more options , like barrel length and contours, compared to reboring.
I would think a new barrel would be the way to go.

Numrich has new/used take off barrels for $125. Didn't see any in the caliber you were looking for though. I think Howa and S&W 1500 are the same animal, but not 100% sure.

Numrich has new/used take off barrels for $125. Didn't see any in the caliber you were looking for though. I think Howa and S&W 1500 are the same animal, but not 100% sure.

If that is the case, I know where there is a bunch of HOWA .308 barrels for cheap. PM if interested

JES does not have a commercial e-mail, you have to call him. I cannot say anthing negative about my experience with him, a very straight up good guy.

I certainly would spend a minute to talk to him before going from a 270 up to a 338, or 35 caliber.

Turn around time was just 3 weeks from Ohio to Oregon, & back. Try that with a re-barrel for $275 !!

Howa and Smith and Wesson are one and the same. At least they were in the late 80’s when I bought the barreled action.

Yes the Howa, S&W, and Weatherby Vanguard are the same. Depending on the current contour you may still need to go with a full rebarrel to get to 338 or 35.

Several barrel makers have copied the Savage barrel nut concept so you could have a company like McGowen make you a barrel and you install it yourself.

Check the rifling if it’s ok, the chamber may be eroded and that is where you are losing your accuracy. A competent gunsmith could set the barrel back and you would be back in business. That being said if you are looking for something different I have used JES and the results were excellent.

Most all rifles that truely start losing accuracy, loose it because of an eroded throat.
A barrel can many times be cut at the chamber and then turned, rethreaded, and rechambering. But the cost of the labor puts that close to a rebored gun and even a rebarrel job can be afforded for less than $300.00 depending on the barrel price and the shop costs.
Maybe a rechambering to something that can use the original bore diameter like the .270 Weatherby Mag would be to your liking.

I've almost done it myself. But ended up selling the rifle to someone who wanted a .270 win. Mine shot OK as it was and I couldn't bring myself to alter it.
Would still like to do one in that caliber if the right price could be found for a project gun.
A rechambering would just involve a chamber reaming ,which would likely clear any throat erosion, and a bolt face upsizing to the new mag diameter.

Last edited:
Shooting 1.75” groups at 100 yards is still plenty good for 90% of the elk hunting/shooting situations I will find myself in. I could just keep it as is, but with both the barrel and action needing a cerakote or rebluing finish, I figured I might as well get the accuracy back to it’s old glory as well. Both the Numrich barrel and 270 Weatherby options are ones I have not considered. Are the Numrich barrels new or are they ones that were removed from someone’s rifle because they didn’t shoot to their expectations? Thanks for all the help and ideas. Any other insight is appreciated.

I had a 70 year old 30-06 rebored to 9.3x62 by JES. Great work and amazingly fast turn around. It shoots right at 1" at 100 yards if the rifle is bagged. I don't shoot it as much as I thought I would because of the recoil. It gives me a headache.

If I were to do it again, I'd go 338-06. 210 grain Partitions or 180 grn coppers will do anything needed.

+1 for JES. Whyat rebored a .30-'06 to 35 Whelen for me this summer. Did great work, fast turn-around time, reasonably priced and shoots great.

Since Cav1 brought this thread back up, I thought I would let everyone know what I ended up doing with my old .270 Win. This summer I decided to have JES out of Oregon rebore the barrel to 338-06. I also had Fall River Arms of Meridian, Idaho, Cerakote the barreled action. Both companies did a great job and am very happy with the outcome. The rebored barrel shoots 185 grain Barnes TSX bullets into sub MOA 5 shot groups and I am also playing with some 210 gr. Nos. Partitions and Barnes TTSX bullets. Those who live in the Treasure Valley (Boise) area, I would also highly recommend Fall River Arms for your Cerakote needs. Two great active military guys who do great work.

Back