Issue with my Wyoming application.

Alright guys so a little backstory, this year will be my second time hunting antelope in Wyoming, although I've accumulated preference points the last five years. This year my group of buddies decided to join, the 3 of them together had a couple point average, so they opted to cash their points as a party in the regular draw. I opted to apply separately in the special draw, and pick up the same unit as a 2nd choice as to preserve my points.

Well results are posted and just as expected, I was happy to see I drew my 2nd choice tag. When I looked closer, it showed that I drew that tag on my 1st choice. I checked my app at the release time 12:00, I was on the phone with the cheyenne office at 12:01. The operator scoffed at the idea that there would be a mistake, but luckily I printed out my receipt and it in fact showed that the tag I drew was my 2nd choice. I was forwarded to her supervisor, and long story short I was told that it was different from their system and their was nothing they could do.

So all my points are gone and cashed in on a unit I could have had for half the money, and a 3rd of the points. They did send me a review request that I filled out that they said would go before a board, I can honestly say I'm not very optimistic that the outcome is going to change. So on the bright side, I'll be out there hunting in Wyoming this fall, the downside is that I will be starting over in the points race. I find myself in agreement with Randy that it wouldn't bother me to see these point schemes go away.

Anyone else have an issue like this in the past, and did it ever get resolved?

I haven't experienced that issue personally, but a WY resident friend of mine had an issue this year where WGFD said his application was entered twice and was thus marked as invalid and thrown out of the draw altogether. Needless to say he is pretty bummed to not get any draw tags this year as a result. It is hard to imagine that when you have hard proof that it was their system that was screwed up (like your receipt showing a second choice application) that they can't make it right. Similarly for my friend, receipt showing one app, credit card charged once, and the fact that the system won't let you submit two apps for the same species/draw, and yet they are saying he had two apps in the system magically somehow. I think WGFD is awesome and that they do a great job managing just about every other aspect of hunting in WY, but if I were you or my friend I would be royally upset. Good luck in hopefully getting some type of resolution on this (maybe getting your points at least reinstated?).

Lol good luck with the board. I have heard they are not very sympathetic with draw issues.....

Anybody remember a few years back when they told like 1000 extra people that they drew area 7 elk and then said, oh whoops, no you didn't. I think they screw up more than they care to admit. This year myself, my wife, and my brother in law all put in seperately, not party, for a deer unit with over 75 percent chance to draw. Somehow, none of us drew. That's either one heck of a coincidence, or something got screwed up. I won't even bother calling about it, regardless of what actually happened they're just gonna say, oh, that's just bad luck. Try again next year.

Last year 3 buddies applied for 2 doe lope tags as NRs in same zone. 2 drew both tags 3rd guy drew none.. he called G&F and asked how they drew 2 before he drew 1? Guy he called reviewed his app and told him "that sucks" but he didnt draw try again next year....lol. aint hard to see they are disorganized when they cant even number their zones same

Last year 3 buddies applied for 2 doe lope tags as NRs in same zone. 2 drew both tags 3rd guy drew none.. he called G&F and asked how they drew 2 before he drew 1? Guy he called reviewed his app and told him "that sucks" but he didnt draw try again next year....lol. aint hard to see they are disorganized when they cant even number their zones same
This is how they seem to do it if u apply for 2 tags you draw two or none from what ive been lead to believe

One of my buddy's didn't draw his doe tags because they claim he checked the refund box if he didn't draw the buck tag. I kinda doubt that happened.

This is a common misconception. If you apply for a doe tag and choose the 2 tag option you will either draw 2 tags or zero. You can’t draw only 1.

One of my buddy's didn't draw his doe tags because they claim he checked the refund box if he didn't draw the buck tag. I kinda doubt that happened.

This happens a lot. Many people don’t pay attention to that box.

Some states are for sure better about that kind of thing than others. Short of having a screen shot or something of the application I don't see how you could get it changed though.

Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and I'm sure I'm missing some do a great job of tracking your applications and showing each choice so you actually have something that is system generated that you would be able to double check to make sure you entered your choice correctly. It would also be something you could use to prove your choice order as well if something like this came up.

Some states are for sure better about that kind of thing than others. Short of having a screen shot or something of the application I don't see how you could get it changed though.

Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and I'm sure I'm missing some do a great job of tracking your applications and showing each choice so you actually have something that is system generated that you would be able to double check to make sure you entered your choice correctly. It would also be something you could use to prove your choice order as well if something like this came up.
I actually sent in a screenshot of the application, they said they sent a letter explaining their reasoning so im curious to see what they say

I think they will probably say that you could have gone back in and edited your choice or something. They should have some feature to track that, but I'm doubting that they do.

Anybody remember a few years back when they told like 1000 extra people that they drew area 7 elk and then said, oh whoops, no you didn't. I think they screw up more than they care to admit. This year myself, my wife, and my brother in law all put in seperately, not party, for a deer unit with over 75 percent chance to draw. Somehow, none of us drew. That's either one heck of a coincidence, or something got screwed up. I won't even bother calling about it, regardless of what actually happened they're just gonna say, oh, that's just bad luck. Try again next year.

Yup. Happened to us and we haven't drawn 7 again since then.

So I just received my letter in the mail with the "More detailed" reasoning. There is no more detailed reasoning other than that they cannot do anything because my application was filled out online. Absolutely ridiculous

This might seem extreme, but I'd contact the governor's office, even if only by email. The worst that could happen is you get ignored. At the very least, some pressure from the top might expedite G&F getting their system fixed so this doesn't happen again.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back