Is this hikeable?

Yikes...we did a ridge that was 1600ft/mile roughly a couple times and it kicked our asses. Blowdown and a few places that you had to crawl up on all fours.

I went up a spot like that for mule deer, I was the only one who did it on foot, 3,100 feet of elevation change in 1.42 miles. Suck city. Even guys with horses were having a hard time due to it being muddy.

I see you've wisely crossed this one off already, but also keep in mind (as I see that you're in PA) that there's a big difference between gaining 2600 feet in the Alleghenies compared to doing it at 8-10k feet. In my cardiovascular prime (20 years old, no body fat, and swimming over 5 miles a week), it took me nearly a whole summer to acclimate to 10k. Everyone is different, but those sorts of elevations are off my list of possibilities.

I see you've wisely crossed this one off already, but also keep in mind (as I see that you're in PA) that there's a big difference between gaining 2600 feet in the Alleghenies compared to doing it at 8-10k feet. In my cardiovascular prime (20 years old, no body fat, and swimming over 5 miles a week), it took me nearly a whole summer to acclimate to 10k. Everyone is different, but those sorts of elevations are off my list of possibilities.

Good point, I forgot about the altitude factor. I think I’m going to look into a different part of the unit and pay closer attention to elevation gains.

In my experience with any satellite imagery or topo maps asking myself if it's doable.......I'd multiply it by 4 and then reevaluate the situation. Always have a backup plan because chances are if it looks nasty it's probably effn horrible when your there. Good luck and be safe!

A buddy and I did that one time. 2700 feet in 3/4 mile. We were kinda dumb and found out there was a horse trail when we hiked out 3 days later. The horse trail was ten times easier! We were a bit younger (25) and it took us 4 hours or so to get up there. Hard to tell without seeing the terrain.

If you can find a way, and it’s huntable country? That’s how you’ll separate yourself from the rest.

It's probably doable but it will totally suck. Especially if theres a lot of blowdown, basically climbing through a jungle gym. I wouldn't make a climb like that unless I was staying up there for a few days.

Thanks for the link to color coding the degree of slope! Very handy tool ! Once you have been to a few areas and remember what parts of the mountain you hiked that were not too bad, which ones were barely do-able and which ones simply weren't happening, then you will then be able to compare new area maps to old ones that you have experienced already. I am currently doing that while looking for WY elk units vs the CO ones I have hiked already. Best wishes!

Back