Is the Coronavirus a Joke to some People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope that >160k dead in little over 6 months is enough to convince most that it isn't a joke.

I still see some old and infirmed people out and about without masks.

I would say growing number of people consider the coronavirus a joke. Especially when things change so much. Apparently now covering your face with a neck gator is actually worse than not wearing a mask at all.

The study actually supports the use of masks of various designs. Neck gaiters were the exception, and only because it broke larger droplets up to create more droplets. The news article suggests the generation of aerosols, but I can't find that in the published study (maybe someone else can find it). Generating aerosols would be bad. Breaking up gross droplets into smaller 'gross' droplets while capturing a portion of them on the inside of the mask would be better than no mask. So we have an example of ONE study that suggests ONE type of mask MIGHT make things worse.

I'll never wear a mask, well except in my bow stand when trying to hide from mr. Whitetail or when it's very cold a balaclava removes the frost from my face. That's the only two times I think it matters at least :p

I would hope that >160k dead in little over 6 months is enough to convince most that it isn't a joke.

I still see some old and infirmed people out and about without masks.
Only if you actually believe that number of 160k. All of the US numbers are a complete joke due to how toxic the politics are revolving around this world event. Having a wife that literally deals with this at the clinic she runs each day and seeing her come home so worn down and sick of it all really has us believing this is such a joke and we are both ready for it to be over.

Only if you actually believe that number of 160k. All of the US numbers are a complete joke due to how toxic the politics are revolving around this world event. Having a wife that literally deals with this at the clinic she runs each day and seeing her come home so worn down and sick of it all really has us believing this is such a joke and we are both ready for it to be over.

Well, it's a long way from being over.

It’s not a joke for everyone.

The study actually supports the use of masks of various designs. Neck gaiters were the exception, and only because it broke larger droplets up to create more droplets. The news article suggests the generation of aerosols, but I can't find that in the published study (maybe someone else can find it). Generating aerosols would be bad. Breaking up gross droplets into smaller 'gross' droplets while capturing a portion of them on the inside of the mask would be better than no mask. So we have an example of ONE study that suggests ONE type of mask MIGHT make things worse.
It wasn’t really a rigorous study, more a proof of concept for a technique by which you could potentially assess mask effectiveness. It was peer reviewed for what it was, but was not a rigorous mask efficacy study at all.

What I haven’t seen a single study yet address are the particles escaping around these cloth face coverings. All that fog on your glasses when you exhale? Yep, those are those microaerosols these things are supposedly stopping. That was a major fault identified in previous mask studies that has so far been completely ignored with regard to the current situation. We used to train wildlife folks in PPE usage, including masks/respirators and the whole point of fit testing was to make sure this exact type of leakage wasn’t occurring. I don’t understand why it suddenly is a non-issue during a full-on pandemic.

I’m not all crazy anti-mask - I follow the guidelines and such. And I know my opinion is not popular, but I do think their effectiveness is much more limited than is being acknowledged, and the only reason we are clinging to face coverings is because society at large has loudly stated they are not willing to take what is undeniably the most effective action, which is social distancing/staying home. We’ve had a mask mandate in MT for what, a month now? And things are picking up, not slowing down. I’ll wear a mask if I must, but even with a mask I am not going to weddings, not going to events, not going to social gatherings, not going to larger population centers, not going shopping at peak hours unless absolutely necessary. All of those are high risk, mask or not.

FYI...Phillips county MT (Malta) is up to 68 active cases. There are only 4000 and change residents in the entire county.

What I haven’t seen a single study yet address are the particles escaping around these cloth face coverings. All that fog on your glasses when you exhale? Yep, those are those microaerosols these things are supposedly stopping.

Because they’re going off of the assumption that infections transmitted by the baseline aerosols from people and/or airborne transmissions (outside of procedures that create additional aerosols) of this virus are rare. That’s based on the lack of larger outbreaks and little evidence for transmission across larger distances (this is applied to most illnesses assumed to be droplet transmission).

The cloth face coverings and surgical masks are glorified spit guards, but evidence supports reduced transmission of a range of illnesses assumed to be primarily droplet, but occasionally possibly airborne transmission.

Last edited:
I would say growing number of people consider the coronavirus a joke. Especially when things change so much. Apparently now covering your face with a neck gator is actually worse than not wearing a mask at all.
Only the neck gators that have a patriotic theme, such as the American flag. Seeing so many people wearing them i knew it would only be a matter of time before the they became a hazard to your health.

I hear this one a lot now. For this to be true it would mean that coroners are lying on the death certificates, which is a great way to lose your license.

Then the CDC would have to be lying about all the cases that get reported to them since they are the database that everyone uses.

So let's follow the president's ( **I mean your) narrative for the hell of it. We should see less death from red states than we do from blue, since the blue are somehow lying about how many of their people are dying.

I see a lot of people who show up in states that voted red four years ago with high death rates... Excluding the Midwest who have been avoiding high deaths so far
AA1BB8F3-FC2B-4DA4-8797-1A1F294C1159.png

I think it's a joke how we're getting close to 3/4 of a million deaths world wide, with all gov't and non gov't entities agreeing that were in a pandemic that we haven't seen the likes of for a hundred years, and we have a very large population in the US who believe it's all a hoax to influence an election. Unbelievable to me, but then again, when you have a leader that lives in conspiracy theories, it really should come as no shock. After all, 9/11 was an inside job, 5G is mind control, we never actually went to the moon, the earth is flat, and dinosaurs walked the earth next to man.

Ps, seeth07 I just happened to reply to your post, but this post was built on anger and frustration of many posts.

Rant over

I hear this one a lot now. For this to be true it would mean that coroners are lying on the death certificates, which is a great way to lose your license.

Then the CDC would have to be lying about all the cases that get reported to them since they are the database that everyone uses.

So let's follow the president's ( **I mean your) narrative for the hell of it. We should see less death from red states than we do from blue, since the blue are somehow lying about how many of their people are dying.

I see a lot of people who show up in states that voted red four years ago with high death rates... Excluding the Midwest who have been avoiding high deaths so far
View attachment 150261

I think it's a joke how we're getting close to 3/4 of a million deaths world wide, with all gov't and non gov't entities agreeing that were in a pandemic that we haven't seen the likes of for a hundred years, and we have a very large population in the US who believe it's all a hoax to influence an election. Unbelievable to me, but then again, when you have a leader that lives in conspiracy theories, it really should come as no shock. After all, 9/11 was an inside job, 5G is mind control, we never actually went to the moon, the earth is flat, and dinosaurs walked the earth next to man.

Ps, seeth07 I just happened to reply to your post, but this post was built on anger and frustration of many posts.

Rant over
I'll just give one example. Its not mega hard evidence as it's information from one source without follow-up investigation so chose at will whether to believe it or not.

One of my wife's patients was a 88 year old man struggling with heart disease. He was stuggling big time and ended up passing away. Never was tested for coronavirus, never showed symptoms, Never complained he was sick other than his complications from heart disease. My wife knew this guy well from many visits to her clinic and decides to open up the obtitury written in the local paper. It stated he died from coronavirus! How is this possible? He died from complications due to heart disease. My wife called the coroners office because she was curious and his death was indeed the result of heart disease. She was also told that they are testing for the virus on every body and reporting the results in every death report. When she asked why they were doing this she was told it was because the State is receiving Federal aid that is directly related to the volume of cases and deaths.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly deaths 100 percent the result of covid-19. There are also annually 60k to 80k deaths due to various strains of the flu/influenza (again probably a saturated number as a bulk of those deaths are in the elderly). I'm not sure if the actual deaths as a pure result of covid-19 are drastically lower but it sure seems likely that it's quite inflated.

Because they’re going off of the assumption that infections transmitted by the baseline aerosols from people and/or airborne transmissions (outside of procedures that create additional aerosols) of this virus are rare. That’s based on the lack of larger outbreaks and little evidence for transmission across larger distances (this is applied to most illnesses assumed to be droplet transmission).

The cloth face coverings and surgical masks are glorified spit guards, but evidence supports reduced transmission of a range of illnesses assumed to be primarily droplet, but occasionally possibly airborne transmission.

I don’t disagree with you. Assumption being the key word, and really where my frustration stems from. A few weeks ago, the microaerosols were all you heard about, and were allegedly the main reason for calls for mask mandates. All without any real data, just some half assed research/meta-analyses rushed to print in the name of “emergency” and questioned by numerous epidemiologists, that was picked up by mass media and spread as gospel. Meanwhile there is very little actual data specific to Covid, and I sure get the sense reading a lot of the “research” coming out that a lot of these papers were written with a predetermined agenda and would never pass an honest-to-god peer review.

I’m guess I’m just frustrated by the way information is being communicated. Particularly when people who do have underlying conditions or have high-risk family members are making potentially life-altering decisions based on flawed data that isn’t accurately being reported.

CIDRAP had a great editorial about this very thing a few weeks ago. I’ll have to see if I can find it. But I’ll get off my soapbox as it appears we are edging towards the ditch on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back